What a FAT......

What's Hot
mrn1989mrn1989 Frets: 240
edited August 2014 in Amps
Tone!!! Love it, makes me wanna buy a boogie Mesa @ICBM :)

Fretboard Feedback https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58705/  ALSO Over 500+ 100% feedback eBay transactions 
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mrn1989mrn1989 Frets: 240
    Sore fingers?

Fretboard Feedback https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58705/  ALSO Over 500+ 100% feedback eBay transactions 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    edited August 2014
    A great player.  What I like is how he can carry the energy of a piece without needing rhythm guitar parts ...edit on many sections (just realised this has clean overdubs in the slow section, lol - main point still stands though!)

@Lew no likey?
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    Nah and for some reason I'm being a dick about it.
    haha, everyone has there own opinion :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited August 2014
    Sounds like a guitarrig plug in to me.
    edited August 2014
    He just doesn't have loads of high end in his tone.  Being a 1 guitar band that is probably preferable for the audience, so they don't get their ears battered all night.

His tone was actually probably slightly better on the Laney gear though.

Same piece as the OP, decent audio for what looks like an amateur shot video

Pro shot version of Cry For You playing Laney gear... incredible performance

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    I'd have thought the mesas would sound better... but I prefer the tone of the Laney one too.

I think my ears have gone to pot. :))
  • Dave_Mc;318927" said:
    I'd have thought the mesas would sound better... but I prefer the tone of the Laney one too.

I actually agree! Not about your ears, the sound I mean. Very cool.
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    @Lew - excellent cat :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    edited August 2014
    Not my thing musically, but a great tone.

That's not a Boogie though. They're Mesas - important difference.

I didn't like the tone with the Laneys - muddy and too compressed, just nowhere near that big open gritty tone he has with the Mesas.

But then I'm biased...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    with this thread title I was expecting at least one mother joke
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    ICBM said:
    That's not a Boogie though. They're Mesas - important difference.

My bad ;)

Yes I prefer the fuller Mesa tone, but the Laney still sounds good
    edited August 2014
    with this thread title I was expecting at least one mother joke
    The audience is listening  ;)
  • Vai would you mix up shred references like that?

I like the Mesa tone, I just feel the Laney suits his playing more. The squidgy low end on the power chords doesn't work as well on the Mesa IMO, though the single notes sound fantastic. The Laney is more compressed but I like it with his playing.

Andy favours the Rectifier 2x12, he often uses 2 stacked on top of each other. I've only got 1 so far, but would love to try 2...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    I thought the Laney made his playing sound too smooth and generic. The Mesa sound was much more interesting and untypical for that playing style, and really brought out the differences in what he was doing.

If I'd heard the Laney clip first I doubt I would have been interested enough to listen to him with the Mesa, to be honest. I didn't play more than a couple of minutes of it, that was enough for me to mentally switch off. No character to it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    Dave_Mc;318927" said:

I actually agree! Not about your ears, the sound I mean. Very cool.
    LOL
    ICBM said:
    I thought the Laney made his playing sound too smooth and generic. The Mesa sound was much more interesting and untypical for that playing style, and really brought out the differences in what he was doing.

If I'd heard the Laney clip first I doubt I would have been interested enough to listen to him with the Mesa, to be honest. I didn't play more than a couple of minutes of it, that was enough for me to mentally switch off. No character to it.
    I'd have said that smoother more modern Mesa type of tone is all those types of shredders use these days :)) I used to like it, but now I find it a bit smooth and dark...
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17637
    tFB Trader
    It's a much darker sound than I would use, but it gives him a distinctive voice.
    edited August 2014
    Which Shredders? I can't think of anyone new/recent who has a lead tone that fat. It is almost vintage/fuzz sounding with how loose the low end is.