FR trem on an LP copy?

What's Hot

I really fancy getting a cheap LP copy and trying to stick a Gotoh FR on it! Do you think it is doable or would it be utter madness to try?

This Thomann LP looks like a great candidate:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_l400_sbk_classic_series.htm#bewertung

Could it work? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RUSH!

Wait, that's a Kahler I think.  
  • axisus said:

Could it work? 

Probably not. Just think how high off the body the tremolo would be.

The Gibson versions have a specially low neck pitch designed for the purpose.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited August 2014
    Unless you are REALLY handy, I wouldn't go near it, you'd make a probably rubbish guitsr even worse, spend a fortune on a Floyd, and probably cut your fingers off.  Look lout for a used Edwards LP with a floyd, it'll be a lot better and I've seen them go for £300ish
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Well I hand routed for an FR trem previously, admittedly on a flat body, and it came out extremely well. I'll have to see if I can find out any info on whether anyone out their has attempted it. To be honest, the challenge of doing it is a lot more appealing than buying something pre-done.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    I imagine I'd would be quite a challenge, but if you want to do it to prove you can I guess that's the point.

I asked GSP about converting a ToM guitar into something with a strat trem and I think he suggested the neck would be different if it had been designed for a trem. (I don't know enough about guitar making to know why)
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7031
    tFB Trader
    Do you think it could be something to do with the neck pitch?

Fender style guitars have zero or low neck angle. Those with tunomatics, such as a Les Paul, typically have a neck pitch of a few (3 or 4) degrees, making the strings a lot higher of the body at the bridge. Fitting a Floyd Rose to a Les Paul would mean that your bridge plate would be a few mm off the top of the body - not what you want.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Do you think it could be something to do with the neck pitch?

Fender style guitars have zero or low neck angle. Those with tunomatics, such as a Les Paul, typically have a neck pitch of a few (3 or 4) degrees, making the strings a lot higher of the body at the bridge. Fitting a Floyd Rose to a Les Paul would mean that your bridge plate would be a few mm off the top of the body - not what you want.
    I think that might have been it. 

He was selling a PRS shaped body with a ToM and I asked if you could put a strat bridge on it and the answer was "not easily".
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16672

Its all to do with bridge height and neck angle.  Since the neck angle is usually set you can't do anything about that easily

Fender bridges, when set falt, are about 10-12mm* high at the lowest setting,  so are most  floyds.  tune-o-matics are usually about 15mm.  The bridge itself is 13mm at the centre saddle but its raised off the body a few mm.   Adjusting for a decent action adds a few mm too

the floyd rose would need to be set quite high  to match the tune-o-matic bridge height the guitar has been designed around

As an alternative how about a stud mount kahler.  Still requires some routing under the bridge, but its a smaller route and its covered by the bridge so easier to do on a carved top instrument.  they do feel different to floyds, but well set -up they will perform well

or if its a bolt on neck les paul you can adjust the neck angle by altering the pocket or the neck heel appropriately.  I did do this on a cheap V once.  if you do try this I wouldn;t go for the floyd recess as that wouldean a more severe alternign of the neck angle

* cant remember exact measurements at the moment

tFB Trader
    Another option might be a stetsbar. 

They look a bit pants (IMO), but I've tried one and it seemed extremely stable and had a very light action much like a floyd.