Bad Cat Black Cat 'Refresh'

IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
edited August 2014 in Making & Modding tFB Trader
I've had a Bad Cat BLack Cat for a couple of years now and it's always been second choice to my Lazy J20 - mainly due to the weight of it.

It had been well gigged when I got it and was a little shabby around the edges. It was also in a pretty uninspiring red colour considering the colour options Bad Cat initially came with.

So, after seeing my original Black Cat appear on ebay, I decided to give mine a facelift. I always loved the two tone colour scheme of my original so set out to replacate it.

The original Bad Cat tolex was soft, almost leather like. I emailed Bad Cat who were most helpful and could supply exactly what I wanted but the carriage to the UK was TWICE what the tolex would cost.

After getting a few samples off ebay, none of which were the right colour OR the right quality, I called into a local Auto/Boat Trimmer who was very helpful and, in the end had SO much more choice than I was expecting and in the exact same leatherette material that Bad Cat use (used here on luxury yachts), but I stuck to my original choice and went for Green/Cream.

After a rub down and respray of all the hardware and a new handle, I think it turned out rather well:

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
(formerly miserneil)
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Looks cool
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1559
    edited August 2014
    Lush looking, such an improvement. Would love to try one someday. Did you do the recovering...if so how did you do the curved section on the top front edge?
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Nice! Mind, the original looked grand too ;)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Awesome effort, award yourself a beer!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Good work fella love the colour
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    Im a bit boring and traditional (black tolex on my badcat black cat) but must say this looks great -nice one! So much better than red
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Thanks for the comments folks. Yes, @Majorscale, I did it myself. The curved section was one of the easy bits to be honest, a couple of diagonal cuts and the tolex was pliable enough to follow the lines. The hardest part was the Cream panel and the front and the valve guard at the back!
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    Lovely job - very tasty
    Seemed like a good idea.....