Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What was the THE album that truly changed your life to make you want to play guitar?

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6111
edited September 2013 in Off Topic

I think that many musicians were inspired by a single performance or album that polarized them into wanting to play their instrument. If you were one of these and there was an album/LP/CD that totally turned your world on it's head what was it and why did it have such an effect on you?

For me the single most important album was 'Performance: Rockin The Fillmore' by Humble Pie recorded back in 1970.

I had started taken an interest in playing guitar so when I saw the gatefold cover full of brilliant small photos of Frampton and Marriot et al in action I was immediately drawn to it and bought it 'blind' just on the cover's strength. Greg Riddley looked like a feckin God..he was so damn cool.

Of course the proof is in the pudding and when I played the first track '4 Day Creep' it just pinned me to the wall. I had never heard anything so powerful. Frampton's playing was just bloody amazing, thick and jazzy and worked perfectly with Marriot's biting angular tones from his Epiphone Coronet.And then there were the vocals.. just an absolute powerhouse. My world just flipped at that moment and all I wanted to do was play electric guitar and bass from that moment.

Frampton has been a huge influence on  my playing and for me personally his playing on Performance was one of his finest moments:

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you '4 Day Creep' :

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10693
    Awesome question! Passion and Warfare by Steve Vai.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6111
    viz said:
    Awesome question! Passion and Warfare by Steve Vai.
    Any reason in particular?
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • I dread to say it, but it was seeing the video to Where The Streets Have No Name that started the ball rolling, so Joshua Tree would be the one for me.

• "Paranoid" - Black Sabbath.

I was like a rabbit caught in the headlights when I heard it. 

Passion and Warfare showed me how to break away from the blues and I was stricken. Not immediately, but those songs started to haunt me, I found them playing in the background of my mind almost continuously, and I ended up listening to that album for a year. It's now part of my ROM.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Rage against the machine and the accompanying gig at Newcastle mayfair in 92 with tool as support
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Passion and Warfare showed me how to break away from the blues and I was stricken. Not immediately, but those songs started to haunt me, I found them playing in the background of my mind almost continuously, and I ended up listening to that album for a year. It's now part of my ROM.
  • Santana's moonflower was the soundtrack to my childhood, my mum always had it on.
    Then I saw Queen in 85 and I knew I wanted to learn an instrument, but didn't take the plunge until 87 after hearing Eric Clapton and the beano album
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    edited September 2013
    Master of Puppets by Metallica. 
    I was listening to rock /metal and thinking about guitar but then I got a copy of this from a mate in '87/'88 and was blown away by how heavy Hetfield's riffing and tone were. I HAD to get a guitar after that. 
    First song I learned was Welcome Home (Sanitarium) - my mate showed me how to play the intro and even just playing the first three notes on open strings had me grinning from ear to ear.
    I learned the whole album, then ...And Justice For All came out and I learned that too.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    edited September 2013
    A Deep Purple album, probably Made In Japan.

The result didn't occur for several years but that was the first time I realised what an electric guitar sounded like.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• It wasn't an album for me, it was watching Top of the Pops. For reasons I don't understand, I was just fascinated by guitars whenever I saw someone playing one. There were many 'milestone' albums after I started playing....
  • Not an album but a performance. I saw Marty McFly play Johnny B Goode and that was that. It's strange that that few minutes of film made me do something that has given me everything I have in life.

Sorry got a bit deep there for a mo.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    Still got the blues- Gary Moore . Amazing at the time. I went a bought a les Paul and learnt most of the songs. Don't like it now though.
  • Dinosaur Jr - Freak Scene
    Ride - Chelsea Girl
    Mudhoney - Touch Me I'm Sick

all songs that got me into wanting to make music
  • Probably my Dad's copy of The Very Best Of Cream. The first riff he ever taught me was Sunshine Of Your Love and I didn't really look back after that. Then I discovered AC/DC....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    @Axe_meister - Santana's "Moonflower" was a huge influence but Thin Lizzy's "Live & Dangerous" was "The One" for sure!
  • Bruce Springsteen, Born in the USA. I was about 10 (which matches up with the year he did the Wembley shows and that album hit it big).

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    No particular album started it but a number have inspired over the period

Slade Alive
    Fly Like an eagle - Steve Miller
    Desperado - The Eagles
    Greatest hits 1971 - Fleetwood Mac
    Bad Co - Bad Co
    Frampton Comes Alive
    C'est Chic - Chic

After that I was less influenced by albums and more so by individual songs.

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Couldn't Stand The Weather by Stevie Ray Vaughan. Heard Scuttle Buttin' on the radio about 3 months after I'd started learning acoustic guitar, and went "THAT'S what I want to be able to play". Bought the album on vinyl and wore out side 1 in particular. 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Iron Maiden, Number of the Beast, specifically the songs Hallowed be thy name, and Children of the Damned

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)