How do I test the output of a pickup.

What's Hot
I have a multi meter but don't know what I am measuring to test the output of a pup, can anyone tell me what setting to use on the MM please?
 Thanks
  Paul
Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5205
    AFAIK, you'll only be able to measure the DC resistance (some number of kilohms). This is a very rough guide to the pickup's output (more resistance = louder), but there are many other factors that will affect things. 

If you look up the specs for various known pickups you should be able to find resistance ratings that will give you something to compare with.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3057
    Thanks mart! Paul
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638

If you hook up almost any 1/2 decent digital AC voltmeter to pickup in a guitar and give it a good thrash you should get a reading. Hard to catch sometimes on a DVM but many these day have an "analogue" bar and/or reading hold.

Been a while since I did it but I think a Mex Strat with all the taps wide open gave me about 100mV?

BTW. If you have an old Avo or other totally analogue mmeter you can check relative pup phase by a rather cunning stunt with a small screwdriver!

Dave.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    ecc83 said:
    BTW. If you have an old Avo or other totally analogue mmeter you can check relative pup phase by a rather cunning stunt with a small screwdriver!
    Have got that working with a digital before, you just have to watch carefully and check it gives you the answer you expect when reversed. But yes, an Avo is easier.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10582
    edited August 2014 tFB Trader
    Right ... straight from a pickup manufacturer here are the things worth testing!
    1. are the coil/coils okay? In other words is the pickup dead or not? Straight DC resistance will tell you that. Take a look at the original manufacturers spec and make sure the resistance is in the ballpark. With a four conductor pickup out of a guitar, make sure you are measuring the right leads and that the 'serial' link wires are at least twisted together. If you are not sure of the wiring code for your pickup there is a handy chart for all the major manufacturers here Remember, resistance goes up and down with the ambient temperature too!

2. Millivolts is a good measurement for comparative power ... but just strumming is an unreliable way to get a proper comparison. A hardwood spacer and a tuning fork placed on the poles will give a reliable input signal for your multimeter to latch onto.

3. Resistance is a crap means of measuring power as it is dependent on not only the number of turns, but the gauge of wire used ... so comparing a 42awg wound pickup with a 44awg one by resistance is totally futile (get it ... resistance is futile ... oh please yourselves).
    Inductance in 'Henries' is also a better indicator of power ... and tone too, but not all multimeters will measure that.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

". A hardwood spacer and a tuning fork placed on the poles will give a reliable input signal for your multimeter to latch onto."

Oooo! Clever! Can you still buy tuning forks??

Dave.

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Boom http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tone-Deaf-Music-Tuning-Fork/dp/B000NGYNA4 (though searching for them is now difficult that lots of online tuners call themselves 'tuning fork')
    Good idea, sensitive to frequency, but every way of doing this will depend on the frequency response.
    I've just realised if you're kitted out with a signal generator and another coil you could map the frequency response. (Yes, there are problems with that too.)

imalone said:
    Boom http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tone-Deaf-Music-Tuning-Fork/dp/B000NGYNA4 (though searching for them is now difficult that lots of online tuners call themselves 'tuning fork')
    Good idea, sensitive to frequency, but every way of doing this will depend on the frequency response.
    I've just realised if you're kitted out with a signal generator and another coil you could map the frequency response. (Yes, there are problems with that too.)

Not only do I have a nice wee Levell sig genny but also a luscious Wayne-Kerr-Radford noise meter ANM3 but nothing that needs testing!

That is NOT to say I might not rig something up one day just for the craic!

Dave.

imalone said:

imalone said: