Shed Esquire pickup, any thoughts....

ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
I'm looking to tryout a new neck pickup, currently have a CS Fender Nocaster set in at the moment, newer version not the hotter old ones. Anyone with experience and thoughts regarding the Shed Esquire, pros and cons?? 

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Not the Tele/Esquire variants, but I've got a set of Spencer's in my LP, Shed Zeppelin's, the absolute dogs appendages. Got BKP in the Esquire, but that was more about impatience and wait times. Bloody good pickup tho, the Piledriver. Rawk aplenty!
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5058
    What's wrong with the current CS pickups - what sounds are you looking for that they don't give you? And isn't the Shed Esquire a bridge pickup, or does Spence do a neck version too?
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    Got a pair of his alnico 3's in my telecaster with a very light weight swamp ash body. Effectively the esquire in the bridge. Sublime pickups. All tele, jazz to rock in the neck, pure tele in the bridge but no ice pick.
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    Too much coffee and noodling! I meant bridge not neck. 

To answer the question, what sounds and what I want to change....I mainly play at home and can agree with some comments on the net saying that nocasters come to life when things are cranked up a bit. This is not an option when playing at home, so I was wondering which pickups growl a bit/have some beef to them at moderate levels, but also cover most bases. I guess I'm after something hotter that doesn't need to be cranked to sound great - but which ones. Music tastes vary but mainly blues and rock. 
    Zoolooter said:

To answer the question, what sounds and what I want to change....I mainly play at home and can agree with some comments on the net saying that nocasters come to life when things are cranked up a bit. This is not an option when playing at home, so I was wondering which pickups growl a bit/have some beef to them at moderate levels, but also cover most bases. I guess I'm after something hotter that doesn't need to be cranked to sound great - but which ones. Music tastes vary but mainly blues and rock. 

Join a band mate. Job done.

Seriously.
  • Zoolooter said:

Ask Ash at Oil City.  He'll do you a Diesel Tap - it's a hot bridge pickup that can be tapped to a more vintage spec :)

And boy does he know pickups... The man has information about them coming out of his ears!
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5058
    I would think there'd be quite a difference in sound and tonality between a moderate output pickup through a cranked amp, and a high output pickup through a non-cranked amp. Can't you attenuate the amp?
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • I bought a set of sheds for a strat. Really exceptional. You wouldn't regret it
    I bought a set of sheds for a strat. Really exceptional. You wouldn't regret it

LUSH pickups.