Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why do filmmakers...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Sporky said:

What if it's a giant robot saying it over and over?
    Then there is clearly a system error.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28172
    And that's when the rockets start flying.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    Sporky said:
    dogload said:
    Though as Myranda says, we sadly don't have hovercars.
    Probably a good thing - they'd only follow them with hoverbikes and hoverhorses.
    and god forbid hoverflies
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    So noone's yet mentioned Roy Amara?

Amara's Law states "We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run."

We simply do not sweat the small stuff enough...

I keep Amara's Law filed with this Anthony Robbins quote

"most people overestimate what they can accomplish in a year; and underestimate what they can achieve in a decade”

Arthur C. Clarke was great at getting things scientific but one computer brain to pilot a space mission to Jupiter? We use 3 control systems in commercial aeroplanes.

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • Sporky said:

YOUR giant robot?

I think you mean Fumiaki Tsurugawa's giant robot.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
  • It blows my mind to think of the world I have brought my little girl into (she's 20 months old now) compared to the one I grew up in.

I always look back at the world of MY parents' childhood as quaintly antiquated, but that's nothing compared to the gulf between my experiences and those my daughter is having/ will have.

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    edited September 2013
    fatherjack said: I think you mean Fumiaki Tsurugawa's giant robot.
    Possession is nine tenths of the law.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • dogload said:
    Well Bladerunner of course was based on the Philip Dick novel, so the notion of 'future' had to be retained otherwise the film wouldn't work. It was Dick who set it in 2019.

When you think about the real rate of technological change it is accelerating. Though as Myranda says, we sadly don't have hovercars.

My gripe with sci-fi these days is the amount of glare and reflection and sunbursts. 
    I know, SURELY all guitars will come in futuristic shiny silver finshes and be shaped like Guseseses within fifty years?
  • Didn't future guitars used to be keytars?

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    James Burke predicting the future. Again. On the wireless.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Seen a lot of "Are fingerprints going to make passwords a thing of the past" type articles lately - they're great because they're unique right...

Well. No. 

Lets say you use your fingerprint instead of a password for a website. The website doesn't see your fingerprint - it gets sent a collection of 0's and 1's which represent a mathematical model of your fingerprint... so should any naughty types manage to intercept your data then they will have the series of 0's and 1's they need to "prove" they're you to any website you're using your fingerprint to. It's not like you're going to have a variety of thumbs laying around your desk, people will get used to using one finger. The NSA have allegedly cracked SSL which underpins HTTPS so the current way banks and ecommerce companies use for your payment details is potentially not secure, so thumb-data will be something hackers will be able to use to steal your monies - and with your thumbprint(data) it's going to be harder to prove you didn't buy a load of lottery tickets and donate any winnings to anonymous bitcoin types. Yes you can use a better encryption and combine the thumb and "other" password... but if they can intercept that data - and thanks to wifi that's far from impossible then they can use the hashed data to not need to break your password or steal your thumb.

So I suspect the future will be filled with people getting ripped off because they bought into the stuff the press was telling them about "security" when clearly a lot of those articles aren't reviewed by someone sensible before being published. So there needs to be more poor people in movies of the future... with criminal gangs owning pimped Killer Giant Robots being chased by police sponsored by corporations who will be free from criminal charges as having already paid the wages of all the police have pre-bribed them all.

Or I'm sleepy and not making much sense... back to bed.
  • IanSavage said:
    I know, SURELY all guitars will come in futuristic shiny silver finshes and be shaped like Guseseses within fifty years?
    What?! Like this?