String buzz

What's Hot
xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
edited August 2014 in Acoustics
One of my acoustics has a bit of buzzing apparent on the 3d, 4th and 5th and 6th strings when I play them lower down the fret board. It's not fret buzz, and seems to be coming from further up the neck a little after I play the note. 

It's barely apparent when I fingerpick normally (I have a fairly light touch), but if I dig in or use a pick (especially hard strumming) it's there. 

I did have the guitar strung with 11's but restrung it with 12s today which is what it had when i bought it I think. The buzz is about  the same with both gauges. 

Does it sound like the truss rod needs a tweak? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    edited August 2014
    Yes.

If you fret the D string at the first and 14th frets (using both hands!) - there should be a gap between the bottom of the string and the 7th fret of about the thickness of the high E string.

If it is less than this, or there is no gap, the rod needs loosening.

Turn it anti-clockwise (using the correct tool), a sixth of a turn at a time and recheck after each adjustment.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Cheers Richard. Yes I think it needs a touch more relief. I might get an expert to do it though.

I've had it 8 years so far without it needing anything doing so it's about time.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    Skarloey;336867" said:
    Cheers Richard. Yes I think it needs a touch more relief. I might get an expert to do it though.

I've had it 8 years so far without it needing anything doing so it's about time.
    Seriously - it is not an 'expert' job.

It's the guitar equivalent of topping up the oil in your car.

As long as you have the right sized hex-key and proceed gently as I outlined, you'll be fine. Trust me, unless you mindlessly crank away at the thing, there is NO risk of damage. As I've said before, most major manufacturers supply keys with their guitars - if there was a real risk of breaking something, they wouldn't do this.

I've never had the truss rods on any of my guitars adjusted by anyone other than me (from a £20 Japanese acoustic in the 70s, through to vintage Fenders, Gibsons, PRSs, etc).

Give it a go. I recently replaced the inlet and flush valves in a toilet without bringing any ceilings down. I felt like Billy Big Bollocks!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Hmm. Food for thought. I'll take a look at it later today.

I am reasonably handy so in theory I could try.