Plectrums

thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
edited August 2014 in Acoustics
I just bought some Jazz 3 stiffo's for my electric playing - used to use Dunlop 1.5mm but found the volume died when it was angled. 

Anyway... what plectrum would you recommend for acoustic playing - some strumming but also picking... I currently have one pink Stagg pick which is ~0.8mm thick and is pretty good but can't seem to find them online. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    I'm a fan of Dunlop Nylons. .88 or .73 are good for strumming. Heavy picks really don't work well.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I always seem to have Herco .75 plectrums hanging around. They're good I find.
  • I use Ultex 0.90 or 0.94, they have that celluloid zing but they do not wear out as quickly as celluloid. I hold them in a death grip for picking single notes, and lightly for strumming. I play very aggressively though. Thinner plecs are easier for strumming.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    I used to really like Dunlop Match Piks. I used to keep a pack/book in each guitar case. But can't find them anywhere anymore. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    I tend to use the same ones I use on my electric most of the time.  If you get your technique right so you are just striking the strings with the tip of the pick you are fine.  I actually break a lot less (zero) strings now compared with when I used thinner ones.
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    I just use Jazz IIIs on both electric and acoustic.  For me I like the shape and size of them as much as the thickness so struggle to use 'normal' plectrums.  I agree with @crunchman about the technique, I've also found that I've developed a lighter strumming/picking action which I find gives me more control and dynamics 
  • Try also TeckPick light alloy jobs. I tried them for electric and said YUK! they're horrible. Then picked one up for acoustic, almost without thinking, then thought AH! so THAT'S what they're for!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • I struggle horribly using picks, prefer my fingers and index fingernail.  However I am going to have to learn to use one asap, as just got hunted for New Band playing Lead Electric.  Have to step up this lead thing. So I figure I will have to bite the bullet and put some relearning time in.
    It is interesting to see what people are using any why.
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    @Billibob You really dont have to use  plec for lead, if you have used your finger for the last how many years they will do just as well, I never use a Plectrum, and even with the shredding we sometimes do I am just as fast as someone using a Pick, the only thing I cant do is pinch Harmonics. I put a little bit of super glue on my index nail to stop it wearing through and bobs your uncle.
  • That does sound like a plan, I will try that.  Any pics of the finger nail, glued up?  I suppose I just need to practice the alternate thingy using my nail as a plec.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    BilliBob said:
    I struggle horribly using picks, prefer my fingers and index fingernail.  However I am going to have to learn to use one asap, as just got hunted for New Band playing Lead Electric.  Have to step up this lead thing. So I figure I will have to bite the bullet and put some relearning time in.
    It is interesting to see what people are using any why.
    No problem at all, it's how I play. I can do fast alt picking with my index nail. I give my index finger an acrylic coating with lasts for weeks at a time. can look a bit unsightly later on as the colour goes a bit yellow - not that I'm bothered!

I love the feel of playing with no plec. I'm not quite as fast but the feel is great!
  • TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    The green Dunlop teardrop ones. No question.

• I love the tone of the Dunlop nylon .46s :) Lovely to strum with, pretty easy to bend slightly to gain rigidity for single note stuff.