Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Pub covers

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• @polarityman
    We are just having tentative discussions at the moment, but the basis is as a separate project which would fund the originals stuff (until hopefully that takes off.)  Our genre is fairly pop-based anyway, so we could drop one or two of our own songs in to a long set of covers and get away with it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    I swear that 'Sex on Fire' is rapidly becoming the modern 'Mustang Sally', judging by the amount of bands which play it around here. :))

Does go down well, though!
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Grunfeld said:
    Is there no love for Ace Of Spades?
    Even though Lemmy will probably outlive us all it's a good number to have at the ready...
    You've not seen him lately?
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sof, Satisfaction & I bet you look good on 't dancefloor. I refuse to learn Mr Brightside.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    Fuzzdog said:
    I swear that 'Sex on Fire' is rapidly becoming the modern 'Mustang Sally', judging by the amount of bands which play it around here. :))

Does go down well, though!
    It is by some margin the most popular song you will play as a covers band. Almost to the point of being ridiculous. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    To be fair it's a great song though

I always think in terms of a gig being a football match. Your songs are your players .... if it's going against you bringing on players like Mr Brightside, SOF etc can turn the game. You don't have to use them for every game but it's handy to have em
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Usually by the time we get to Mr Brightside in our set, at least one person has shouted out for it.
    I don't dislike the song, but I must admit to being somewhat perplexed by how popular it is. You'd think it had been number 1 for six months or something...

tFB Trader
    Danny1969 said:
    To be fair it's a great song though

I always think in terms of a gig being a football match. Your songs are your players .... if it's going against you bringing on players like Mr Brightside, SOF etc can turn the game. You don't have to use them for every game but it's handy to have em
    It is, but I have found it can actually ruin a set as well. 

One of the pubs I used to regularly play in had two bars one which was a music bar and the other which was full of pissed up chavs who ignored the band. 

For some reason if you played SoF and only then they would all as one rush into the bar going WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! throw beer all over each other and our equipment and slam into each other until the song ended whereupon they would all leave again leaving the dancefloor empty because they had frightened all the people who were previously dancing off the floor.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • We had a request for Smalltown Boy by Bronski Beat once....

We do that week in weekout.  Here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4emZ1Apc4w

Great version!
    Nowt wrong with the original either. It's not that I dislike the song, it's just I thought it an odd request for a wedding band made up of lads with guitars.

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    Have to agree with SOF - play the first 3 notes and the place erupts every time. Use Somebody has a similar effect. We also do Bohemian Like You and Let Me Entertain You which are also "never fail" roof raisers.
  • All those songs mentioned above reminds me why I don't want to be a pub band anymore. So soul destroying and to rub it in the pubs round my way pay so bad for the pleasure of it :(
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    tFB Trader
    On the other hand you get to go to the pub for the evening and come back with more money than you left with and spend the evening with people cheering you. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Sex on Fire, Play That Funky Music, Summer of 69, Sweet Child, 500 Miles, Livin on a Prayer, Take Me Out

Anything that gets people dancing really.

We start our set with some Rock n Roll like Beatles, Stones etc to warm up a little and get people tapping feet from the outset.