NGRD Bigsby content

What's Hot
New Guitar Revival Day...

so since I bought an Edwards LP with P90's the SG has been getting very little love. So I had to make it different...what better way of doing that then to put a Bigsby on it...here it is...looks great, balances better when strapped across my shoulders and i love the kind of tremolo action i get out of the bigsby.

so far so good...
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Ace
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Perfect. SGs with that shape of pickguard just look wrong without the Bigsby once you've seen what they look like with it there. It fits neatly with the control layout too, better than in the normal Gibson position.

Love it in black as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• @ICBM I have to admit i'm really stoked with it...I tried a bigsby on another guitar (i think it was a gretch) at a shop and the one thing that concerned me was the access to the controls, but actually on mine its not in the way at all and feels fine.

but...fuck me...its a bitch to string up!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    edited September 2014
    samzadgan said:
    but...fuck me...its a bitch to string up!
    You'll get the hang of it - the most important trick is to pre-bend the ball end so it will hook on the pin and stay there with only very light tension on the string. Then learn to do that bit and hold it the tension on the string with one hand while you do the tuning peg stuff with the other.

I can restring a Bigsby almost as quickly as any other tailpiece now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• No more hassle to re-string than a Floyd, and you now have a full-on, proper 70's SG!

Just replace it with a Maestro next and you have the "correct" Frank Zappa spec ;)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

That looks brill... nice one.

• Zappatastic :)
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    ICBM;339581" said:
    samzadgan said:but...fuck me...its a bitch to string up!

You'll get the hang of it - the most important trick is to pre-bend the ball end so it will hook on the pin and stay there with only very light tension on the string. Then learn to do that bit and hold it the tension on the string with one hand while you do the tuning peg stuff with the other.

I can restring a Bigsby almost as quickly as any other tailpiece now.

I use a bulldog clip as well, keeps the blood pressure down. :)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • use a sponge to hold in place when restringing....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That looks great.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
  • Thanks for the complments...i plan to give it a good play when my son sleeps in about an hour.

I learnt to string on the job...i did the pre-bending and pulled the string through to the nut and pulled tight...then I awkwardly held the string tightly at the nut with my thumb, held down the string slack against the headstock with my middle finger, while i fed the tuning peg and tightened it with the other hand.

I was rubbish on the low e but by the time i got to the high e i was a seasoned pro!

You get the hang of it, but doing it for the first time is a bit of a mind fuck...for me anyway.
  • Looks awesome - did you put the p90s in yourself or did it come with them?
  • Looks awesome - did you put the p90s in yourself or did it come with them?
    came with P90's...Its a great guitar.

recently had some issues with dead fret on the low E, but fixed that last night...not sure how, but the re-stringing did it!

next is the pickups...they are really good P90's...a bit noisier than my other P90 guitar...i'm thinking of doing the copper shielding which might help cut out some excess noise.