Neck pickup choice to pair with '57 classic in an SG?

What's Hot
strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
I love the sound of the '57 classic in the bridge position of my SG, it's just so clear, sounding and has this almost jangle to it which is just what I look for in a bridge pickup (rather than a lot of bridge humbuckers which are either too hot or have too much low mids and bass)

Sadly I'm not so in love with the neck pickup, which sounds like the same pickup under a blanket. It's sort of nasally honky and indistinct, rather than warm and fat like a neck pickup should be. I suppose this is hardly surprising considering it is the exact same pickup as the bridge to the best of my knowledge.

Am I doing something wrong, or what pickup would give a warmer/fatter tone in the neck to complement the bridge?
I was thinking maybe something completely different, like a humbucker sized P90..
Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Same pickup under a blanket? Something is wrong, mate - the Classic 57 sounds vibrant and warm in the neck position of my SG. It matches the bridge unit beautifully.

SGs don't tend to have the same fluety neck pickup sounds of Les Pauls or 335s, but its a very useful sound.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What about the pots?  Does it have a 300k volume? Try a 500k and see if that helps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom