Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Too old for covers?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Or perhaps 'My BBQ is on Fire' or 'My GAS is on Fire' or 'My Gas Fire is on Fire'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I depped in a band a while back playing Teenage kicks, I was youngest in band at 52 !
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I don't see what age has to do with it - if you can pull of a version of a song that suits you and entertains people then all is good.   I play in 3 cover bands, in my early 40's I'm the youngest in all them and all bands do varying amounts of modern songs - usually rocked up but just the same as any number - we tweak it to suit the band and try it. If we like and it goes down well we keep it.  Who cares about what's "cool" if everyone is having a good time.   Of course you need to be honest about whether it works though!
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    edited September 2014
    hubobulous;344345" said:
    drwiddly said:

"I guess, if I'm being picky, the only difference here is that my sex really is on fire."

You can get some ointment for that .......

I'll get me coat.

Does ointment work on petrol induced flames? I was going to use an extinguisher or smothering blanket.

That's the bitch about the internet.....people take my comments as lame humour when in fact I'm in the process of enduring 3rd degree burns on my manhood
    My apologies. I was thinking of this:
    www.expresschemist.co.uk/hugepicpopup.jsp?pageid=2633&slotindex=&picindex=1&scope=0
  • John_P said:
    I don't see what age has to do with it - if you can pull of a version of a song that suits you and entertains people then all is good.   I play in 3 cover bands, in my early 40's I'm the youngest in all them and all bands do varying amounts of modern songs - usually rocked up but just the same as any number - we tweak it to suit the band and try it. If we like and it goes down well we keep it.  Who cares about what's "cool" if everyone is having a good time.   Of course you need to be honest about whether it works though!
    "Of course you need to be honest about whether it works though!"

IMHO I think this is where most bands go wrong.  
  • Is it any different from the Stones 'covering' their songs from the 70s?
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    Most successful bands spend most of their careers covering their earlier material.  In the Stones case they do look a little too old to keep it up for much longer.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Roland said:
    Most successful bands spend most of their careers covering their earlier material.  In the Stones case they do look a little too old to keep it up for much longer.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    That's what they said 10 years ago & they're still going strong even after decades of substance and alcohol abuse...in fact, Keith Richards actually passed away in 2007 .....but no one had the heart to tell him!!  =))

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Roland said:
    In the Stones case they do look a little too old to keep it up for much longer.
    But they still deliver - belting out excellent 2hr+ shows with gusto !

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I wonder if when a "mature" performer covers a "young man's song", it's the attitude that goes with it which makes it good or bad? If its an old git trying to pretend he's young & sexy, it won't work. But if he either takes the piss out of himself (and/or the song) it will be more entertaining. If the band did the song "their" way instead of trying to mimic the record it could be more entertaining.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    edited September 2014
    In my experience, punters don't really care what covers bands look like (or how old they are), as long as the bar is open and they recognise the songs.

The women want to dance to tunes they know and the guys want to look at the women dancing until they get drunk enough to join in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6111
    So if your band was famous, at what age do you become your own tribute band?
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    equalsql said:
    So if your band was famous, at what age do you become your own tribute band?

You don't. You simply charge £100 per ticket.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Is it any different from the Stones 'covering' their songs from the 70s?

Their songs. Doesn't count. And the stuff they were covering/ripping in the '60's and '70's, well, they were young. Yoof overcasts all.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    jd0272 said:
    Danny1969;340044" said:
    Trouble is you can't not do a lot of the newer stuff if you want to earn decent money ..... cos they want to hear newer stuff a lot of the time. Luckily bands like KOL just stand still while playing and look old themselves so that's fair game

I'm 45 but not gone grey yet and have no beard so fuck it I'm still up for anything :)

45? Not grey? No beard? FFS, act your flamin' age man! ;)

Some tracks are simply a young bands tracks. A 50+ yr old singing Sex On Fire is a bit, well, hmmmm. One thing I've said to the lads is if you lot wanna do that track (insert any track that old gits should leave alone) go ahead, I'll go and have a coke or summat and watch.

we do sex on fire ,every gig and it always goes down really well and our singerist is 52 and bald (but in otherwise good nick for his age ) people dont care as long as it's done well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    +1

Just play the feckin' tunes with gusto.  It's music - not a psychoanalyst session.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    Just do Sex Bomb! Tom Jones is still picking up a ton of Viscose Bloomers.

• JAYJO;372019" said:
    Just do Sex Bomb! Tom Jones is still picking up a ton of Viscose Bloomers.
    His rider calls for a fork lift truck for this very reason. :)