Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar Maintenance

What's Hot
57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
How many of you attend to your own setups and general maintenance - fret dressing, nut cutting etc??

Do you have all the tools? - Where is the cheapest place to get good tools/guages etc?

Some knowlege is important - but how far does it go for you??

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Comments

• This is something that I know is well within my capabilities but I've never bothered to learn/had a decent work area to use.

I'd like to attend a course one day but real life (and other interests I guess) are in the way at the moment so it's not a priority.

Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • All aspects of set-up except significant fret-work for me. I've tackled the odd high fret but nothing more.

As I've said before, as a motorist should be able to check their oil, coolant and tyre pressures, a player should be able to set up their guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    edited September 2014
    richardhomer;340964" said:
    All aspects of set-up except significant fret-work for me. I've tackled the odd high fret but nothing more.

As I've said before, as a motorist should be able to check their oil, coolant and tyre pressures, a player should be able to set up their guitars.
    richardhomer;340964" said:
    All aspects of set-up except significant fret-work for me. I've tackled the odd high fret but nothing more.

I bet there's more than a few guitar techs who might disagree with you...

Surely the equivalent would be to restring your own guitar?

Previously known as stevebrum
  • I'm fine with electronics/action/intonation/truss rods, but anything that involves woodwork or fretwork is most definitely a job for someone else. Usually Jaden, in fact ;)
    <space for hire>
  • General set-ups, pick-up changes, truss rod adjustments, etc. I'm happy to do for myself but fitting new nuts, fret dressing, etc., I leave to the pro's.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

Fret work, setups, make nuts. Just about every guitar I've had has been better for a little fret level. There's a recent thread here re tools-  http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/22304/fret-leveling-kit

For nuts I have:
    8 thou razor saw (tenner or so)
    Nut files (40 squid or so)
    Woodworking vice from boot sale (couple of quid). G-clamps to a table
    Various files, sandpapers, marker pen & scriber etc

I do have a shed/workshop but mostly do fret-levelling and making nuts indoors. Our dining table is well relic'd up so no worries there...

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    edited September 2014
    Iamnobody;340975" said:

A lot of techs aren't very good.

No tech knows exactly how hard I press when I fret a note, or can properly judge my pick attack. These facets of playing influence how a guitar intonates.

So even the best tech can only get close to the ideal settings.

Using the car analogy, a driver should be able to top-up their oil/coolant and put air in their tyres.

Too many people make too much of a mystery out of set-up work. It's actually very straight-forward.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I do everything including re frets.

Why? Because its fun ! That there Internet , she is a good resource, non? I think in terms of my time, it would be better to take it to a tech, but I like to to tinker.
    Plus, some are getting quite expensive . £300+ for a refret is too much for me. And, the skills I've learnt I'm going to give a go at guitar making!
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    I've  checked neck relief and adjusted the action height on my Strat but I would certainly leave anything more complex to somebody more skilled than me. 
  • I'm slowly building up my skillset and tools. Next big step will be to do a fret level, but none of my guitars need one yet.

I bought some used nut files from Feline recently and they've paid for themselves in saved fees already.

Long term I'd love to be self sufficient, no rush just yet though.
  • Everything but fret dress or regrets I'm fine with but I'm seriously contemplating having a go and fret dressing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    I'm good with all the electrical side of things, and can do any circuit modding, shielding etc. I want. I'm also able to do a full fret level and dress to what I think is a high standard. Have invested in a few necessary tools, including a good quality set of 10 Hosco nut files that were the best part of £100 - fortunately not a purchase I will have to repeat, and they are worth it to me, just in terms of freeing from the need to go to a guitar tech, Really I've learnt to do this stuff mainly to save money, as I have quite a few guitars, but recently I've been doing work on other people's guitars and that seems to go down well. I guess building several "partscasters" helped with the learning process, and there is quite a bit of good advice on the interweb, as long as one can distinguish it from the less-good advice also out there. The next stage for me will be learning to do a full re-fret.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2358
    I'm fine with electronics/action/intonation/truss rods, but anything that involves woodwork or fretwork is most definitely a job for someone else.
    Yeah, pretty much.

Well maybe not so much electronics, but I'm meaning to give that a shot since you can't really do any lasting damage with that unless you're really unlucky (and most of the electronics parts are replaceable and fairly cheap anyway).
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Obviously I do all my own :)

I agree that a working knowledge is a good thing.
    It can get you out of a jam and keep your instrument well maintained
    It can also help you have realistic expectations if you do need some outside assistance too...

It can also be fun for some people if they have the time.....
    But there are times where it is nice to have a real pro (if you are lucky enough to know of one) do it for you

I know how to decorate, but I'll often never get round to it or get it finished fully if I do start a project.
    However calling in a great decorator who will have the job done in a couple of days and it will be complete and to my liking , and meaning I can get on with my life is a godsend in my book.

It's finding the pros and avoiding the hacks that is the big deal.....

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Iamnobody;340975" said:

A lot of techs aren't very good.

No tech knows exactly how hard I press when I fret a note, or can properly judge my pick attack. These facets of playing influence how a guitar intonates.

So even the best tech can only get close to the ideal settings.

Using the car analogy, a driver should be able to top-up their oil/coolant and put air in their tyres.

Too many people make too much of a mystery out of set-up work. It's actually very straight-forward.
    One thing I always try to ascertain from a customer is what type of music they play and their preferences in a setup, as a shredder will want a completely different approach to a SRV inspired blues-player . There are some dodgy techs about and some that charge way over the odds, I'm lucky inasmuch that it is a sideline for me and therefore I don't have to charge some of the frankly crazy prices quoted for setups. especially those on a FR equipped guitar.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    digitalscream;340977" said:
    I'm fine with electronics/action/intonation/truss rods, but anything that involves woodwork or fretwork is most definitely a job for someone else.
    I'm exactly the same. I've spent a very pleasant afternoon with a new acquisition which hadn't been played/looked at in a long time. Nothing a bit of steel wool, Gerlitz guitar honey, car polish and new strings couldn't sort.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I used to leave major work to a tech until I took a guitar in for replacement of one damaged fret and the guy replaced one jumbo with a medium cause that's all he had, then levelled all the others to match. I do most things myself now
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1302
    I joined in with the fret board build a guitar challenge. Most I'd done before was a restring.
    I'm not claiming the guitar I built is of particularly high quality but it does play well, and now I'm confident enough to approach work on my more expensive guitars.

If you're keen to learn get one of those kits.
  • It's worth getting this book.   It'll save you a lot of money in setups.

I'm working my way through it now.

Marlin
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    edited September 2014

As @TheMarlin says, get the Dan Erleiwne books & watch his vids on youtube.

If you are not confident working on your number one guitar buy a cheapo & use it for practice.

I used to get my guitars set up every 6 - 12 months or so & would include a fret dress here & there & a pot change. It all adds up to quite a bit over a lifetime when I believe with a little knowledge its something everyone can do for themselves, only you really know how you want your guitar set up.

Get the book its a real eye opener.