What do I do now?

What's Hot
daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
Well, the realisation has finally hit that whilst I love my Fernandes Ravelles (Les Paul types), I actually find my Jackson DK2  and my tele a helluva lot easier to play. I have no idea why this is. Any suggestions?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I knwo what you mean. I struggle with LP's (well Gibson types generally) as they put my hands in the wrong position.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• The 'geometry' of Les Paul based guitars really doesn't work for me. Even on the odd occasion when Gibson get it right, I find the amount of back-angle on the neck feels wrong. The amount of carve on the top, combined with the height of the bridge places my picking hand at an awkward angle and the whole guitar feels too far to my right - when either seated or standing. Clearly access at the 'dusty' end of the neck is difficult and the controls are hard to get to and hard to see with the guitar in its playing position. Everything feels 'locked in' - I really have tried to get on with them (I've owned 4) but they just don't work for me.

Bolt on neck Tele/Strat style guitars present me with no problems whatsoever.

The ergonomics of guitars are highly personal. I've no doubt there will be loads of Les Paul players who find Strats unworkable.

I suspect there is no real answer for you, other than to accept that certain guitars are 'not for you'.
  • I found the opposite, so sold my Tele and superstrats. I then re bought, then resold another Tele, proving I don't learn! If there's something else you want to spend the money on then sell the LP type. Unless you think it might be a setup issue causing you to not enjoy playing it as much?
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    No, it's definitely not setup as I've fettled these until I'm pretty happy.

I've considered scale length, neck carve, nut/fingerboard width, bolt on/set neck and just cannot put my finger on it. I'm wondering whether PRS singlecuts might be the middle ground to go for.
  • daveyh;341838" said:
    I'm wondering whether PRS singlecuts might be the middle ground to go for.
    I wouldn't consider a Singlecut to be a 'middle ground' option - though they are great guitars, they are still very Les Paul-like.

I've compromised on a McCarty. Great high-end access, controls are easy to get to and although a little lighter sounding than an LP, it's in the tonal ballpark. In the bizarre used market which now seems to exist, you can pick one up for a ridiculously low price for a guitar of such quality.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    DGT is a good middle ground as well. Very similar to a McCarty, but with some nice features.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    Just put everything else away in the attic for three months, it'll soon feel like home.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited September 2014
    daveyh;341838" said:
    I'm wondering whether PRS singlecuts might be the middle ground to go for.
    I wouldn't consider a Singlecut to be a 'middle ground' option - though they are great guitars, they are still very Les Paul-like.

I've compromised on a McCarty. Great high-end access, controls are easy to get to and although a little lighter sounding than an LP, it's in the tonal ballpark. In the bizarre used market which now seems to exist, you can pick one up for a ridiculously low price for a guitar of such quality.

Sorry but to some extent I disagree here.

I own both, I've had my Les Paul several years and my Singlecut about a year and a half, I'd guess.  They're the two guitars pictured in my avatar.

They look similar, but there are clear differences - most notably in feel.

For starters the scale length of the Single Cut, SC250 and Tremonti models is 25", and the SC245 and SC58 models are 24.5".  This falls either side of the Gibson scale length of 24.75", with the 25" scale guitars feeling slightly snappier and the 24.5" guitars feeling slightly silkier (personally slightly too soft, IMO, but I've not tried one with a higher string gauge to compensate).

The necks are totally different carves, a Gibson 50s neck is far wider and fatter than a PRS wide fat, which isn't much thicker than a Gibson 60s (going off my own Les Paul) and probably isn't even as wide either.  PRS wide thin necks are fairly thin but again I wouldn't call them wide.  Radius is 10" on the PRS which is closer to a modern Fender 9.5", Gibson is 12" IIRC - so feels flatter.

Neck heels are different, the PRS has some attempt at making upper fret access easier than the Les Paul - this is both in the form of a carved heel and a recessed cutaway (but the heel is not as advanced as for example the heel on a Feline Lion).

Stock pickups - Gibsons tend to be a bit raunchier than all but the higher output PRS pickups IME, such as the HFS or Tremonti pickups.  The #7s in my Single Cut are far more polite sounding than the BB3 and 57 Classic in my Les Paul which have a slightly gritty character and more aggressive EQ curve (IMO).  I get confused on the latest PRS pickup numbers 59/09 57/08 etc - but I remember thinking the guitars I tried with those fitted did sound good.

Controls are in different positions for each, neither is really better though.

The headstock angle is improved, structurally speaking, on the PRS - so it should be less likely to break.

Personally I don't really think the fret access on a Les Paul is terrible, but I do think it is better on the SC.  But it depends on what you play and how much time you spend above the 12th fret.

I now also own a CU22, which I tend to pick over both to use with the band just because it weighs hardly anything and 4 hour rehearsal sessions with a heavy guitar get a bit old!  I prefer to record with the SC and Les Paul though.  

I'll be honest and say I don't think I notice any practical difference between the fret access on the SC and the CU22 - even though the CU22 is technically better I've never felt unable to play anything on the SC, and for that matter I've only ever had to readjust my position to play something on a Les Paul anyway.  But everyone has different hands and playing preferences at the end of the day.

@daveyh - Personally I'd be in no rush to buy a SC, if you're happy with your other guitars then don't force yourself to try and like something else.  But if you wanted to try a PRS I'd personally suggest an SC based guitar over a CU guitar as far as tone is concerned.  If you want a good live guitar though the CU, and I'm assuming McCarty/DGT types too, are a fantastic compromise on weight, design, and tone.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I love the shorter Gibson scale length but struggle with the shape.

I'm thinking of making a warmoth 24 3/4 scale tele or strat, which would suit me better. Prs custom shapes work well for me, too.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    edited September 2014

@daveyh - Personally I'd be in no rush to buy a SC, if you're happy with your other guitars then don't force yourself to try and like something else.  But if you wanted to try a PRS I'd personally suggest an SC based guitar over a CU guitar as far as tone is concerned.  If you want a good live guitar though the CU, and I'm assuming McCarty/DGT types too, are a fantastic compromise on weight, design, and tone.
    The McCarty and DGT have a thicker body than the Customs in an attempt to make them a bit more Gibson like.  The McCarty is probably more Les Paul like because it has a fixed bridge.  The Trem springs in the DGT do affect the tone - not in a bad way but it's not as close to a Les Paul as the McCarty.

If I was going to buy another PRS now I'd probably go for a DGT Standard (the all mahogany one).  The maple cap on the normal PRS body shape is very thick as it has a very deep carve.  It looks nice but I think it affects the tone - especially as the bridge anchors right in the middle of the deepest part of the carve.  My SG and Les Paul both sound better than all 6 of the PRS I have owned.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I love my Les Paul. I can play other guitars with too much fuss, but godamn if I've never felt another guitar the way I feel my Lessy.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

If you're not getting on with the guitar, put it aside for a few weeks, and play the others. If, when you play it again, and it still isn't right, move it on, and get something which is better for you.

My own example was my old Epi LP, which got played, literally, 3 times in 3 years, so it got moved on and I got my Charvel which is a go-to guitar.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• MDKVMDKV Frets: 56
    I find it comes down to the height of the bridge off the body for me.  I like a lot of clearance between the strings and the surface of the top of the guitar.  This means I usually lean towards the Gibson stop-tail / T-O-M style set up but more recently I've been favouring Charvels with direct body mounted pickups and a (locked) floyd,  Gives my right hand the feel I want.

• The ergonomics of guitars are highly personal. I've no doubt there will be loads of Les Paul players who find Strats unworkable.

I think I'm one. I don't dislike Strats, but there's a limited number of things I can do with mine, whereas I'll try just about anything with my LP. This may be because I don't play it enough, but tbh I think I don't play it as much because of how much better I get on with my LP. I've had the LP since 1983 and the Strat since 1986.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    My Gibson LP is a right ba$tard to play compared to my 335 - you have to put the work in...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Particularly liked the Tremonti, and the Floyd Custom. I believe these are wide/fat and wide/thin necks. Definitely different but very useable for different things.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    My SEII Soapbar has become my go-to guitar for nearly everything. Great neck - virtually plays itselfie...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    My SEII Soapbar has become my go-to guitar for nearly everything. Great neck - virtually plays itselfie...
    I am seriously considering re-jigging my gear to include these
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    2 things about LPs for me, one is that the bridge (and therefore the neck) feels like it's too far to the left and the balance when sat down means that I have to steady it with my forearm which I find tiring after a while so I then rest it on my left leg which then feels like I'm playing a guitar held by someone sat next to me!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    57Deluxe said:
    I'm hoping to find a guitar that literally plays itself!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.