Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Return or Refund - guitar bridge has been used.

What's Hot

Comments

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    To be honest I'm not sure about cross-border purchases.

However, I wouldn't accept second-hand goods (demonstrably second-hand, not just iffy packaging) sold as new.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    The fact that you have posted means that you are not happy, get a full refund on the part, nothing less. They should also pay for postage.

Getting PRS involved may be a good move, otherwise I could see this being dragged out, 'sorry we didn't get your last email' rubbish.
  • They have offered a free return. It still leaves me waiting weeks for a replacement if I stay with the same company though. Nowhere else has one in stock either - so if I go elsewhere I face a similar wait and a higher price. I'm losing time either way and I've done nothing wrong. Frustrating. I will update with what PRS say when I get a response.
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    I dont know what the difference in price is between stores, but you already have one fitted, do you need both of them with new bridges now, or can you get by with one running the old bridge for a couple of weeks?

I did a similar thing recently, although with a different item. I was offered a refund, but decided to keep the item. I now wish I had returned it and ordered another regardless of the wait, even if it worked out at slightly more cost from a different company.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    If they're a PRS licensed dealer, tell the shop to order you one. Now. Assuming PRS have them in stock (don't see why they wouldn't), you're probably looking at a week to land in the UK. Then, 3 days from the shop to you. I'd hold out 10 days for something of this nature. It's a bitch, but it's not like you'd have to wait for another manufacturing run.

Personally, I'd also rap the knuckles of the shop for spouting such obvious bollocks, especially with regards to a "special order" part, which was blatantly not specially ordered in.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    edited September 2014
    Does the shops name rhyme with (EDITED AS I WAS WRONG)? I've bought PRS parts from these and some of them had definitely been opened before I received them.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited September 2014
    grungebob said:
    Does the shops name rhyme with ______? I've bought PRS parts from these and some of them had definitely been opened before I received them.

No. But I'm surprised that happened to you. Were they used or just opened, and how did they deal with it? My bridge is definitely used and definitely used by someone who doesn't know what they're doing - hence the grooves in the post that shouldn't exist if you take proper care,
  • @guitarfishbay the parts didn't seem used ( 513 control knobs and 2 wide thin nuts) but the packaging wasn't factory sealed. I didn't kick up too much fuss but got a few strings sent my way for it.
    Hope you get your issue resolved.
  • Thanks.  I have found PRS Europe on Facebook so have sent them a direct message, which included a copy paste of the email I sent to PRS parts.  At the time of writing I have not received further emails from the shop or from the message I sent to PRS Europe parts division, but I guess it is still early in the morning.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited September 2014
    I have received a message from PRS parts Europe.  Shop name replaced with [shop], as per my belief that it is not helpful to name and shame without giving the company a chance to fix the issue at this stage.  I have still not heard back from the shop yet at the time of writing.  It is good to know that PRS will help if I get stuck.  Copy paste of email from PRS parts Europe below.

--------------

Hi 

I am sorry to hear about the problems you’ve had with this transaction. I agree that the bridge looks like it has been fitted before and suspect that the original customer returned it claiming it was unused; it would then have been put back into stock at [shop] to be sold as new. Perhaps they should have spotted it at this stage, we have regular discussions with them to keep things running smoothly so we will mention this as something to watch out for in the future.

In my experience [shop] have always been very hot on customer service and I’m sure they will offer fair compensation if you want to go down that road. Alternatively we do have brand new bridges in stock now if you’d like a replacement instead.

I (and I’m sure they!) appreciate you not “naming and shaming” as this is rarely helpful at this stage; do let me know how this progresses and if I can be of further help in reaching a satisfactory conclusion.

Best regards

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited September 2014
    Good response from PRS. Very impressed they replied so soon.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Further communication from PRS, very impressed.

My reply, followed below by their response.  Again direct copy/pastes with names removed.

------- My reply to the above PRS message

Hi ,

At the time of writing I am still awaiting a further message from [shop], I will update you when I hear anything further.

I did not realise you had brand new ACC4005 nickel adjustable bridges in stock, the website only shows the ACC4006 which is gold.

Having had time to think about it I think I would be happiest with a replacement.  

I assume I would have to work with [shop] to receive the replacement?  Does this mean the bridge has to ship to them, to ship back to me?  I'm just interested to know how long this will take.

Just to let you know I also copy/pasted the same message I sent to you to the PRS Europe Facebook page as a direct message (not a public one) prior to receiving your reply, just in case you were unavailable due to holidays/etc.  

I hope you are ok with me continuing to update my web forum thread, as I have made clear I am not intending to name and shame at this stage as I consider and hope this just to be an unfortunate series of events rather than deliberate on their part.

Thanks,

------------------  PRS Response

Hi 

We’re not great at updating our web store as the stock levels change so frequently but this is something we’re working on so look out for a new PRS Europe web shop (for parts and accessories) in the not too distant future.

I am not sure about the logistics of the replacement – I know [shop] generally like to be in control of all aspects of their service but I am happy to ship from here to save time once they have the used one back. Feel free to give them my details if that helps to make it happen.

I also am fine with you updating the forum as they can be a great source of independent advice and hopefully any updates will just show that we care and try to do the right thing!

Best regards

• ^ And that's why a PRS is worth the money....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2358
    edited September 2014
    Glad to hear PRS seems to be sorting you out, that's nice to hear :)
    ICBM said:
    There is a well-known shop which is becoming quite notorious for this sort of behaviour...
    Copying grungebob's method shamelessly, does that shop rhyme with "..."? EDIT: Name removed because apparently I was barking up the wrong tree and I don't want to unnecessarily badmouth a possibly decent shop.

I agree with guitarfishbay for not naming and shaming until it's sorted, that's a good policy and what I do too, but if certain shops are known to be consistently dodgy I'd kind of like to know too, just in case I buy from them unknowingly :))
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Dave_Mc said:
    does that shop rhyme with
    In this case no, so it might be better not to raise the suspicion even though it was my first one too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ADPADP Frets: 184
    Glad to hear that it's being sorted out properly.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2358
    ICBM said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    does that shop rhyme with
    In this case no, so it might be better not to raise the suspicion even though it was my first one too.
    Thanks. :) I'll edit my first post to take out the suspicion.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5038
    edited September 2014
    Presumably if the shop sorts you out properly you'll have no problem naming them then, for being jolly good at customer service?! :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • ICBM;343191" said:
    Dave_Mc said:does that shop rhyme with…In this case no, so it might be better not to raise the suspicion even though it was my first one too.
    I'll edit my original rhym as it seems I was wrong
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 333
    guitarfishbay said

:...they're happy to take it back and send me a new one but it'd mean waiting til the end of the month.
    Sounds like good service to me....?

Send it back if you're not happy (which seems to be the case).

If you're stuck in the mean time, ask them if you can keep this bridge until a replacement is available.

I wouldn't gripe at the packaging having been opened, but I would object to any sign of 'damage' to new parts. I'd be inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt that they've returned something to stock without spotting the damage - what else can they do other than offer to replace it?

(I bought a mixer tap from B&Q a while ago, and checked the box before I went to the till. Lucky I did, because inside was some old, manky tap with the hacksawed remains of pipework sticking out of it. Some people have no morals.)