Pickup Magnets - How Big A Difference?

What's Hot
NomadNomad Frets: 549

For a given pickup, how much difference in tone can be expected by changing the magnet type?

In my case, I have Wilkinson WVC PAF replicas which are fitted with Alnico 5 magnets. These are wound with 42-gauge wire, have nickel-silver bases and covers, and the coils have the same DC resistance on each bobbin (ie, not offset). Neck is 7K and bridge is 8K.

If I were to swap the magnets to Alnico 2, which is supposed to be "sweeter" than Alnico 5, is the difference likely to be substantial, or is this something that's rather subtle and might take some time to become evident?

Nomad
Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Nomad said:

For a given pickup, how much difference in tone can be expected by changing the magnet type?

In my case, I have Wilkinson WVC PAF replicas which are fitted with Alnico 5 magnets. These are wound with 42-gauge wire, have nickel-silver bases and covers, and the coils have the same DC resistance on each bobbin (ie, not offset). Neck is 7K and bridge is 8K.

If I were to swap the magnets to Alnico 2, which is supposed to be "sweeter" than Alnico 5, is the difference likely to be substantial, or is this something that's rather subtle and might take some time to become evident?

I have been told that the true difference comes from the wind not the magnet.
    A magnet change will be subtle.

So I am told anyway. 

@TheGuitarWeasel is the man to ask
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    Very obvious straight away.

For a good comparison, listen to the Seymour Duncan clips of the Custom, Custom Custom and Custom 5, which are all the same pickup apart from the magnets - ceramic, Alnico II and Alnico V respectively.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ForgeForge Frets: 431

Check this thread for an alnico 4 modded Jaguar: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/22917/ngd-and-modded-blizzard-pearl-fender-jaguar#latest

If you are working from a PAF type pickups you can really alter your sound with magnets. In bridge I tend to prefer Alnico 2 but for the neck position this type of magnet can lack clarity. Alnico 5 give you more definition but to my favourite there is Alnico 4 as it is between the 2: more clarity with a better balanced EQ than the A5.

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    edited September 2014
    I'll wait with interest for the experts on here to give their views, but my own belief, just from trying various pickups in various guitars over the years, is that if you are reasonably sensitive to tone, you should be able to hear a clear difference - perhaps subtle, but not all that subtle, I'd say. I've found I really like alnico 2 or 3 in whatever type of pickup - I think they are sweeter sounding, and don't have quite as heavy a bass response as alnico 5, which is all to my taste. Other factors involved in the final tone of course etc. etc. but this is what I'm inclined to believe, rightly or wrongly! :D
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    ICBM;342341" said:
    Very obvious straight away.

For a good comparison, listen to the Seymour Duncan clips of the Custom, Custom Custom and Custom 5, which are all the same pickup apart from the magnets - ceramic, Alnico II and Alnico V respectively.
    +1 the difference between alnico 2 and 5 is very noticeable.
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549

Sounds like it's worth doing some experiments, then. Anyone used the magnets from Cermag? I ordered two each of A2,4,5, and 8 in PAF size...

http://www.cermag.co.uk/buy_guitar_pickup_magnet.html

Nomad

• ForgeForge Frets: 431
    Nomad said:

Sounds like it's worth doing some experiments, then. Anyone used the magnets from Cermag? I ordered two each of A2,4,5, and 8 in PAF size...

http://www.cermag.co.uk/buy_guitar_pickup_magnet.html

Yes, they are very good and fit perfectly.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited September 2014
    I do not think it is subtle. I've tried the Duncan c5 and custom in the same guitar - same pickup wind but different magnet. The difference was not subtle to me.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Ceramics are a bit too powerful for normal guitar parts, better for high-gain stuff. IMO not great in the bridge position -too brittle.

Alnico2 are great in the right situation, so Blues-rock, Southern rock 70's pop etc Think Billy Gibbons.

Alnico5 (my favourites) are great for riff-laden rock/metal and general playing. 

I have 4 guitars with Alnico5 bridge pickups, 3 have ceramic neck pickups.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Cermag are very good, not vintage cast but very consistent modern magnets.

II, V and ceramic is pretty clear, but depends how tuned in you are.

• NomadNomad Frets: 549

Alrighty, I think I'll try the A2 in both pickups first and see what I think. As things stand with A5, I quite like the tone of the neck pickup, but I feel the bridge is lacking - it's brighter but seems somewhat sterile.

A not-unrelated question...

The guitar is a Vintage Lemon Drop with the reversed neck pickup. On this pickup, the magnet is not reversed (both have north towards the pole pieces). The pickup wiring was reversed, and I've since changed it back to normal. Am I right in thinking that rotating the pickup so that the pole pieces are towards the neck will have no effect (or negligible) on the sound? In other words, if there's no magnetic or electrical inversion, it doesn't particularly matter which way round the pickup is?

Nomad

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10379
    tFB Trader
    Magnets are the broad tool for changing pickup sounds ... I use the subtlety of winds and scatter patterns to fine tune the big brush strokes.
    Cermag are great, as Hayden says,for modern mags ... Addiction FX do small quantities of rough cast stuff for enthusiasts ... as do Mojotone.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• TheGuitarWeasel;342687" said:
    Magnets are the broad tool for changing pickup sounds ... I use the subtlety of winds and scatter patterns to fine tune the big brush strokes.

Cermag are great, as Hayden says,for modern mags ... Addiction FX do small quantities of rough cast stuff for enthusiasts ... as do Mojotone.
    What's rough cast?
  • The general view is rough cast smooth out the high end so best used in a bridge and can sound a bit dull in the neck depending on the other parts being equal. My ibanez super 70,s feature polished in the neck and rough cast in the bridge and they date from the super 70's :-) so not a new concept.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10379
    tFB Trader
    Okay, in the fifties they used rough, sand cast magnets that weren't ground and polished like modern ones. They are said to have softer, more tuneful characteristics. The original PAF was sand cast alnico 4 ... allegedly :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Don't mention the PAF word! :)
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    Okay, in the fifties they used rough, sand cast magnets that weren't ground and polished like modern ones. They are said to have softer, more tuneful characteristics. The original PAF was sand cast alnico 4 ... allegedly :-)
    What's the thinking behind this?

Is it due to how the flux lines emanate from the magnet surface due to the rough surface of the magnet?

I assume the magnets are magnetized after polishing, so I can't see how the polishing could affect the level of magnatization
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    I think it's due to them being made like that in the 50s, therefore they must sound better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Can imagine the crystal structure of cast versus sintered (are the modern ones sintered?) might be different.
    (Yes, for once the crystal lattice may be relevant!)

What about alnico 8s? I know there are some people out there using them.
  • imalone said:
    Can imagine the crystal structure of cast versus sintered (are the modern ones sintered?) might be different.
    (Yes, for once the crystal lattice may be relevant!)

What about alnico 8s? I know there are some people out there using them.
    Including our own @theguitarweasel...

I've nver used or seen a pickup with them, but I very nearly got a set of alnico 8's from OCP.