Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

23 String Harp-Lute That I Have Made

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• That's a first time for any guitar forum I should imagine. Excellent work.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wowsers!

would you use baroque tuning ie A=415 Hz to save stress on the neck?
    Thats actually a very good idea, I could start at that pitch then gradually increase it if I tihnk that the instrument is up to the strain.
    Old Is Gold
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4982
    Wow!  Brilliant work my friend.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• @Antique_Guitars fanx 4 wisdom! you may not need to raise the pitch if you can arrange to have the instrument playing with other period or replica instruments that also use baroque tuning. I'd love to hear it !
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    Beauty to behold.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27497
    Just going through some old posts (for the index pages!), saw this, remembered it, and wondered how it's doing now?

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    By the rivers of Babylon!! Nice work!
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Wow!
  • TTony said:
    Just going through some old posts (for the index pages!), saw this, remembered it, and wondered how it's doing now?

It is still in one piece ha ha but I haven't done a great deal with it recently, really it needs some modifications and repair based on extra information that has come to light since I made it.

I have however completed a 12,000 word journal article on how I made it for the Lute Society website, so it should be online in a month or so. It wil also be printed in hardcopy for the FOMRHI journal at some stage (http://www.fomrhi.org/)

There will also be a full length journal article at some stage detailing the research as well as the construction, this will probably be put on the FOMRHI website. It will be around 30,000 words.

When I get a workshop I will hopefully try and build another based on what I have learnt building the first one.
    Old Is Gold
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27497
    A stunning piece of work.  And something to be proud of for the rest of your life.

Good to have it committed to words & paper too,
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I wonder if people took every other string off to help out the sausage fingered minstrel about town..

(I have no grasp of history)

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Amazing looking instrument and looks very complex to make and play.

I am guessing it would be a load of loot for a Lute/Harp hybrid. 

See if you can punt it to Richie Blackmore.

Have you composed any period and instrument correct with it get.

Bloody good skills dude, very impressive. 
  • TTony said:
    A stunning piece of work.  And something to be proud of for the rest of your life.

Good to have it committed to words & paper too,
    Yeah it was one of the main reasons of researching it as the instruments has been pretty much ignored for nearly 400 years
    Old Is Gold
  • johnnyurq said:
    Amazing looking instrument and looks very complex to make and play.

I am guessing it would be a load of loot for a Lute/Harp hybrid. 

See if you can punt it to Richie Blackmore.

Have you composed any period and instrument correct with it get.

Bloody good skills dude, very impressive. 
    I think if I was to make one properly and to a good standard it would have to cost £2.5k the thing just takes so long to make. I have not attempted to really write anything for it as it really needs to be modded and adjusted.
    Old Is Gold
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Any idea why it wasn't built more as a harp with a lute sound box than a lute with a harp tagged on? Obviously your aim is to reproduce the original design and the problem is unavoidable, but the first builder must have realised this wasn't going to be fantastically stable. "It may actually destroy itself at full pitch." is not something you see often.

Antique_Guitars said:
    I think if I was to make one properly and to a good standard it would have to cost £2.5k the thing just takes so long to make. I have not attempted to really write anything for it as it really needs to be modded and adjusted.
    But does it djent?
    (Oops, wrong forum)
  • imalone said:
    Any idea why it wasn't built more as a harp with a lute sound box than a lute with a harp tagged on? Obviously your aim is to reproduce the original design and the problem is unavoidable, but the first builder must have realised this wasn't going to be fantastically stable. "It may actually destroy itself at full pitch." is not something you see often.

Antique_Guitars said:
    But does it djent?
    (Oops, wrong forum)
    Well we have no information on the builder or owner/player so any theories I have are completely speculative.

It was possibly a custom instrument comissioned by a lutenist who enjoyed the range of notes provided by a harp or perhaps a harpist who wanted a more compact/portable instrument to play. It really could be any number of reasons.

Italian music was starting to be very popular in Germany at the time (17th Century) and the use of accompaniment such as Basso Continuo was becoming more common. Potentially it is a lute type instrument that could be used for such a technique without being overly cumbersome like its Theorbo and Chitarrone counterparts.

Either way it needs a fair bit more investigation, I wouldn't claim to have the expert level of knowledge regarding musical instruments or music performance paractice in 17th Century Germany to be able to give you the best answer.

Thats why hopefuly when the work is published people with far more knowledge than me will come forward and correct me or offer additional sources of information regarding the instrument.
    Old Is Gold
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    That is lovely, incredible work....... Needs a diagonal telecaster neck pickup.

Joking aside hats off to you.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    @Antique_Guitars Any chance of a video of it being played? I'd love to hear what it sounds like.