Analog summing - does it make a difference?

What's Hot
Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone has any opinions on the subject of analog summing: basically, is it worth sending the stems of my ITB mix to someone else to sum, or is this a waste of time and money?

Also, is there anyone on here with some sort of summing box who'd do it for me? (Would be able to pay, obviously)

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    Hmm that sounds a bit like voodoo to me. 

What's wrong with doing it in the digital domain?
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Analogue summing through certain high quality summing units such as say a Neve mixing desk or a dedicated summing box that mimics the transformer coupling and frequency/amplitude dependent saturation characteristics of said mixing desks can have benefits. The transformers and other analogue components introduce harmonics, eq the signal and apply frequency dependent phase shift in a way that can be pleasing versus digital summing which is totally accurate and devoid of colour. So if I had the resources, I'd sum in analogue. But no way would I send my mix to someone else for analogue summing, because the whole point would be that I'd mix INTO the summing box - ie the decisions I made in the mix would be based on what I heard. Doing a mix then sending it off for summing is a waste of time because you'll be mixing into digital summing and not tweaking the mix to sound good into whatever summing box will be used. Also it depends on having very good converters, because the extra stage of conversion out and back in will degrade your signal somewhat.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405

I tried 24 summing 24 channels out of my Protools HD 192's into my old Spirit Studio desk to see if it would impart any magic. As nice as it was to have everything to hand I thought it sounded worse, even with all the EQ on the desk bypassed. The stereo image wasn't as good and there was added noise. If I were to break out into another analog desk it would need to be of much higher quality than anything I own. I have never tried a passive box though although I could build one easy enough. Maybe you could hire a folcrum and try it if you have enough analog outs on your interface

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • indiansummer1indiansummer1 Frets: 32
    edited September 2014
    Okay thanks all. I will just sum it in the box and get it mastered conventionally I think - or maybe look into some sort of stem mastering...
  • Cirrus said:
    But no way would I send my mix to someone else for analogue summing, because the whole point would be that I'd mix INTO the summing box - ie the decisions I made in the mix would be based on what I heard. Doing a mix then sending it off for summing is a waste of time because you'll be mixing into digital summing and not tweaking the mix to sound good into whatever summing box will be used. Also it depends on having very good converters, because the extra stage of conversion out and back in will degrade your signal somewhat.

This is spot on.

Complete your mix to where you are happy with it and then begin working with a mastering engineer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom