Suhr guitars

What's Hot

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30916
    edited September 2014
    Gassage said:
    2 pages and no mention of Anderson.

I've owned Suhrs, PRS's and Andersons.

Tom, IMO makes the best guitars in the world bar none. Suhrs are slightly anodyne in comparison, Anderson's have more character.

The build of an Anderson is to die for. Check one out.

The other high recc I'd make for a Stratty strat is Gerard Melancon. My Melancon is the most Strat sounding guitar I've ever encountered and the build is sensational.
    Thought about mentioning Andersons, but there more expensive than Suhrs, only brought in by world guitars (to order with a 9 month wait) and arnt that common used.  Add to that I tried two while looking for a suitable guitar (that the Suhr ultimately ws - but I looked at Melancons, Andersons, ESPs, Washburns and LAGS too) - and actually the current built of Suhrs are on par with Andersons - there certainly not any better.  

I think thats part of the problem with Andersons.  Suhr do the same thing, to the same level, cheaper.  If they were the same money (as they were with PRS back when I bought my first PRS) then it would be a personal call - just down to preference, but the price difference has put Suhr firmly in the driving seat.

I have to disagree. It's a 5% thing. Everything is RIGHT about an anderson and generally they\re a lot lighter. The action on my Drop Top is to die for- I keep wondering if I put 9's on it by mistake. (I paid £1350 for it)

However, we're arguing degrees of minute proportions here- Suhr's are great and I'm gassing for another right now.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • We have another 40 Suhr's arriving this week, so keep an eye on the site. Lots of modern in that bunch
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 842
    edited September 2014
    RE that M8.  Its the same guitar I have, with a traditional bridge rather than the Floyd, and the Maple board rather than Rosewood.  I think tonally it will be fine.  The Maple board will be slightly snappier, but only a little and the tone will be slightly fuller from the trem v the Floyd.  As its the HBs not SCs, that helps take a little snappyness out.  

If you like Bengal Burst - theres an M7 (same guitar but with rosewood board - I know its not maple)  on EBay for £1300 and on Gumtree for £1200 (no fees to cover on gumtree) and I know hell take less as we had a discussion just before I bought my red one.   The deciding fa tor was the Floyd which is what I was actually looking for - and personally Im not a fan on the Bengal burst really.  At the price he would take you could try and shift - probably with a slight proffit - if you didnt like it.  Only issue is hes in Essex and wont post.  Youd have to travel to colect - BUT it would mean you could see the guitar and try the board before parting with any money.

have a look

Absolutely loving this one on eBay but seems pricey- Andy Wood Sig model (who is Andy Wood?)

• paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 842
    edited September 2014
    Oh - a little more cash, but you can get the Modern in HSH format if your really want the middle pickup for a more strat quack type tone.  The HSH v HH choice depends on your preference for the 2/3/4 positions.  On the HSH you get the propper strat NM,M,MB combos (although the N and B are the HB split of course).  The HH gives a more Tele middle position tone in 2/4 (one warmer one snappier) while adding a Les Paul middle position in 3 (obviously not the same due to woods etc - but you get the idea).  

I looked at that Andy Wood guitar as well - but again who?? and yeh its pricey.  Nearly picked up a different guitar from Peach - its a Modern not Pro, and is a Mahogony body - yum.  Just a little more than I could spend though or I definately would have.  It does have a Floyd though so no good for the OP.

See what I mean.

• Gassage said:

Tom, IMO makes the best guitars in the world bar none. Suhrs are slightly anodyne in comparison, Anderson's have more character.

The other high recc I'd make for a Stratty strat is Gerard Melancon. My Melancon is the most Strat sounding guitar I've ever encountered and the build is sensational.

I think thats part of the problem with Andersons.  Suhr do the same thing, to the same level, cheaper.  If they were the same money (as they were with PRS back when I bought my first PRS) then it would be a personal call - just down to preference, but the price difference has put Suhr firmly in the driving seat.

And Ibanez do it cheaper than Suhr...

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    I think if I was getting a Suhr I'd be looking at this one at Peach 

Just a lovely understated thing. 
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    edited September 2014
    ^^^^^ Andy Wood is a Suhr artist and a monster player. Does solo stuff as well as being in the band 'Down From Up'. This piece of music below always makes me smile...it's got a sense of humour IMO as well as being technically amazing:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Wow- it's like Vince Gill on acid!!

• Gassage said:
    Gassage said:

Thought about mentioning Andersons, but there more expensive than Suhrs, only brought in by world guitars (to order with a 9 month wait) and arnt that common used.  Add to that I tried two while looking for a suitable guitar (that the Suhr ultimately ws - but I looked at Melancons, Andersons, ESPs, Washburns and LAGS too) - and actually the current built of Suhrs are on par with Andersons - there certainly not any better.  

I have to disagree. It's a 5% thing. Everything is RIGHT about an anderson and generally they\re a lot lighter. The action on my Drop Top is to die for- I keep wondering if I put 9's on it by mistake. (I paid £1350 for it)

However, we're arguing degrees of minute proportions here- Suhr's are great and I'm gassing for another right now.
    Your right about the degrees here.  Used Andersons are better priced now than historically.  i looked at a hollow with Floyd for £1400 as well.  Id have taken Suhr or Anderson - whcihever came up in the 
    Gassage said:
    Gassage said:

• Gassage said:

And also no where near the same quality level - even the good ones. Again opinion, but in this case one shared by the vast majority in the know.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ^ this. It's like comparing a Nissan Skyline with a Ferrari.

• Gassage said:

And also no where near the same quality level - even the good ones. Again opinion, but in this case one shared by the vast majority in the know.
    I am guessing players like Vai, Satriani, Metheny, George Benson, Paul Gilbert etc dont know their arses from their elbows when it comes to high end guitars.

Would also like to mention Govan Guthrie shopped his Suhr in for a Charvel.

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited September 2014
    Have you considered a British luthier? You could spec something right for you, and won't have import fees so it might work out a touch cheaper (might not).

Feline springs to mind - although he's well known her for his lion model, he does some awesome super strats. Blackmachine are another.

Also, I don't think a top of the range ibby is like a Nissan. I'd liken it to a Ferrari, where a suhr is an r8. Might be a better car, but I know which I'd rather hurl around a corner (and die, backwards, in a ball of flames). On the other hand, there are just as many folk who'd take the audi - after all, it's smart, better built, handles better and is generally faster.

A top of the range ibby might not save you much, if any money, at all though.
    Gassage said:

I am guessing players like Vai, Satriani, Metheny, George Benson, Paul Gilbert etc dont know their arses from their elbows when it comes to high end guitars.

Would also like to mention Govan Guthrie shopped his Suhr in for a Charvel.

In fairness, they get the pick of whatever they want - and further, they'd sound better than us with a shoebox and an elastic band.

They're also being paid good money for endorsing said items.

Again, another cricket bat parallel- the bats that Ian Bell gets are vastly different to the bats sold in the shop as Ian Bell sig models.

• Most of those players have been with ibanex since before suhr really became a top maker. And as stated, forget which famous players uelse what. There custom spec's at cost no consideration, built by the top luithiers in that company. At that level most manufacturers fan turn out pro level kit. Makes like suhr, Prs, Anderson and a few others stillbprovide that level of instrument for Joe public. Brands like ibanex do not.

There decent enough at their price point, but they aren't at the top table.
    Re the top table, I hate to bang on but Melancon would be right up there for my money. Incredible guitars.

• ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited September 2014
    Definitely consider a British luthier. Top makers around our own country who will do your own custom spec and select the best woods for it.

Melancon is one such brand
    I have to say, the Feline 20th Anni thread had me drooling.