Best Cheap Audio Interface

What's Hot
I want to buy a audio interface 50-110 can anyone help ????
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Do you mean £50 - £110?

If so, you can usually find a Presonus or Focusrite bundle second hand for the upper end of that range. Not the best you can get, but definitely the best you'll usually be able to get in that price bracket.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited September 2014
    The pod studio ux2 is what I use. It's probably not the best, but it has mic preamp models which are actually a simple way of altering the recorded signal if you're mic'ing up.

Pod farm isn't amazing, but if you just use better cab sims (like torpedo wall of sound) it changes bad models into pretty shit hot recording tones. The cab ir is really important.

In hindsight, I'd probably go with what @digitalscream said.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    One more vote for the focusrite stuff. However, please go for the 2i4 instead of the 2i2. The latter has problems with guitar level input. If you Google it, it's a very well documented issue.

Of course it's better to mic your guitars whether acoustic or electric, but this is an annoyance if you ever want to record direct.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I want a cheaper interface, more like £50 max secondhand. Any recommendations for that price range?

• axisus said:
    I want a cheaper interface, more like £50 max secondhand. Any recommendations for that price range?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tascam-US-144-USB-2-0-Audio-and-MIDI-Interface-/271597248897?pt=UK_Musical_AudioMIDI_Interfaces&hash=item3f3c752181

Basic, no-frills interface - Tascam stuff is usually pretty transparent in terms of the preamps, but latency can sometimes be a bit high.
    <space for hire>
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    It depends if your computer has Firewire or just USB. 

Used Firewire interfaces can be had cheap as computers no longer use this type of connection- it's been superseded by USB3. In which case you can pick up a simple Presonus for peanuts. I've used a Presonus Inspire for about 6 years and it's great, never failed. 
    USB I think would be the way forward though unless you have a very good, semi-futureproof Firewired computer.
  • For Di, get a pod studio gx. Decent amp modelling, just download better cab irs.
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Dont forget the industry standard M box fast track pro, I got mine from ebay for £70
  • I saw the 2i2 and it looks really cool I will try and see if there is any second hand ones :)

• If Firewire's an option I've got a Mackie Satellite ('pod' unit only, unless I can repair the base unit) that you could have for not a lot...
  • KarlosKarlos Frets: 512
    You simply cannot go wrong with a Presonus.

I've have the FireBox and the FireStudio M. Loads of I/O possibilities and the XMAX preamps are excellent for instrument and mic level.
    The software mixer is really handy. Plus as a company they are on the ball with firmware updates etc.
    (the artist formerly known as KarlosSantos)
  • which one of Presonus Audio Interfaces would you recommend ???
  • irondan11;345083" said:
    I saw the 2i2 and it looks really cool I will try and see if there is any second hand ones :)
    These have low headroom apparently, I'd avoid. My friend has one and he hates it.

Do you need any software with it?
  • no I don't, I have some in mind (M audio, Steinberg and Presonus) ?

• PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    irondan11 said:

I saw the 2i2 and it looks really cool I will try and see if there is any second hand ones :)

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/22664/focusrite-saffire-2i2-recording-interface-soundcard#latest :)

Not heard of any of the issues mentioned above, has worked flawlessly for me, if it had s/pdif I'd have kept it.
  • KarlosKarlos Frets: 512
    irondan11 said:
    which one of Presonus Audio Interfaces would you recommend ???
    The FireWire version (FireBox) is my favourite as it was my first and it saved my USB ports on the Mac but I think it's discontinued now. Honestly the USB FireStudio M is just as good.
    (the artist formerly known as KarlosSantos)
  • I have a tascam US-144 and i find with condensor mics the phantom power causes issues when using my laptop, i suspect the usb ports might not be providing enough power so you get level drops but its still a pain in the ass. Id prob go for an interface with a separate ower lead of its own rather than bus powered.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • +1 on a used Fast Track Pro. I picked up a used Tascam us1641 for not much more than your budget too. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• I ordered one now the presonus!