Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Don't you just love Car Boot Sales?

What's Hot

Comments

• I have heard about a guy who bought a 72 custom deluxe Telecaster for.....£15. Typical story you always hear though. It was found in an attic, elderly seller who didn't know what it was. They just wanted it gone.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    A friend of mine bought a vintage Vox ac30 for less than £50 on a boot sale.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTap said:
    I have heard about a guy who bought a 72 custom deluxe Telecaster for.....£15. Typical story you always hear though. It was found in an attic, elderly seller who didn't know what it was. They just wanted it gone.
    Kind of thing my sister would do.

She ordered a skip once, I had to go and fish half of it out. Some of the 'junk' was BNIB. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    To answer the original question of the thread... no not really. The ones around here are mainly populated by pikeys and the lowest form of white trash, selling hooky or fake stuff for inflated prices, as the all pervading stench of horse burgers fills the air, and the lowest form of humanity scream at their revolting offspring whilst stomping about in those sweatshirts with airbrushed Wolves on the back, buying shit they truly don't need.

I used to enjoy them years ago but round here at least they are hell on a pasting table.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:
    To answer the original question of the thread... no not really. The ones around here are mainly populated by pikeys and the lowest form of white trash, selling hooky or fake stuff for inflated prices, as the all pervading stench of horse burgers fills the air, and the lowest form of humanity scream at their revolting offspring whilst stomping about in those sweatshirts with airbrushed Wolves on the back, buying shit they truly don't need.

I used to enjoy them years ago but round here at least they are hell on a pasting table.
    You need to go to the one in Crick

It is much as you describe the others but you have to pay £3 or £5 to get in and they have security patroling the boundaries to stop people jumping in. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • You need to go to the one in Crick

It is much as you describe the others but you have to pay £3 or £5 to get in and they have security patroling the boundaries to stop people jumping in. 
    Sounds like Harrods  ;)

• I won't pretend that the "clientele" (or general experience) is any different near me...but I've always been fascinated by the utterly random tat that turns up from week-to-week...and over the years I've bought some amazing stuff (although, as mentioned above, uber-funky stuff is now much harder to come across).

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• The last time I even tried a car boot sale all that was going was old VHS tapes, golf balls and knock-off sportswear. And of course, in the age of the internet anyone can google the name on the box and get a price. The only things that are that cheap are either stolen or, one assumes, have something sneaky wrong with them.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    I have 25 golf balls for 50p a pop if anyone interested - Buyer collects...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Once found a Japanese Boss DS-1 at a boot sale, which I got for a fiver, the guy I bought it off said it was his sons, and I should have got there 30 minutes ago as there were another 10 pedals which he'd sold for £25 for the lot!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I went through a phase of hitting the same car boot 6 weeks in a row purely in the hope of finding some gear, the only guitar related item I ever saw were a couple of budget classical guitars.

When will it be my turn for bargains?
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12364
    I used to go to boot fairs a lot when my kids were little to get toys and games for them. Found a few music bargains over the years: a Boss CS2 for £2 and a Coloursound Wah/fuzz for a quid.
  • tbmtbm Frets: 579
    Fully functioning Watkins Dominator 50 watt head, £20.
    A mate got a 60s Hagstrom Viking in need of a bit of work, but basically fine, for €25.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    edited September 2014

Yesterday's haul:

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Am strangely drawn to the black offset thingy !
  • @HarrySeven my hat is off again - excellent work :)

Like @DrBob, I think the little black offset looks cool - what is it, please?
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11875
    I want to hit the car boots sales now
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    Nice haul @Harryseven.

All I saw yesterday was an old copy of a Precision bass that had been left in a damp place with a bent neck and the fretboard coming away.
    :(

Do you do up your finds?
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12316
    Back in the day pre internet I got a 76 fender musicmaster bass for £50, passed up the offer of a hofner 60s violin bass for £80, got a carlsbro valve head (cant remember the model) for £10, Original 60s tonebender mkii for £15!!!!! And passed on the offer of a 60s AC30 combo for £150 as I didnt have the cash. It all Encores and Elevations nowadays :(
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    edited February 2015
    dchwhite said:
    @HarrySeven my hat is off again - excellent work :)

Like @DrBob, I think the little black offset looks cool - what is it, please?

No logo, but I'm guessing maybe a Squier Cyclone?