Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Do You Insure Your Vehicle For Banding Use?

What's Hot
robkayrobkay Frets: 11
A friend of mine(a plumber) was stopped in his van last year after an evenings banding.....Police knew the vehicle was insured but when they checked the contents in the rear of van it contained guitar amp and PA System........asking him where he had been he told them that he had a band and had been out playing at a pub.......he was then breath tested which proved negative, tyres and lights were all checked and o.k....
Then we come to insurance, Police then asked if the vehicle was insured for use in carrying musical equipment and for the occupation of banding, van is insured for his plumbing business with no mention of Musician........
Outcome......his insurance was declared nill and void and he was charged for having no insurance......quite a stiff fine and a 3 months ban.......
Makes you think, doesn't it.....
Rob
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    I would probably say I'd been to a lesson/jam session/something musical related but non paying.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• MistergMisterg Frets: 333
    Ouch!

Had he upset someone in the local pinny wearing lodge?

How serious is his 'banding'? Could he not claim it was part of S, D & P?

• Does it matter if you don't get paid? Does seem to be rather twattish. Yes if it's your living, granted. But what if you teach football to youngsters at the weekend and you get paid for it?

Do you have to declare your car is being used by a professional sports coach??
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    Most insurance policies cover Social, Domestic, and Pleasure. In my case I spend far more than I earn from music, so I claim S&P. If your kids are in the football team then it can also be D. It may be that the van was insured for work purposes only.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    Mine is insured for musical purposes, must confess that's mostly because it was a stipulation of a regular gig a few years ago rather than it being due to my desire to adhere strictly to the law.  I never really even thought about it before that, so never had any sort of business cover for gigs.  Um, I mean, of course I did, occifer!  Lovely hat you have on! ^:)^

Costs me the grand total of £0 extra a year because I told my insurance company I was going elsewhere if they couldn't give me a good deal on it.   :D

-- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • If it were me, I'd argue that regardless of whether I got paid for the gig, I'm in no way covering the cost of my musical activities let alone making a living out of it. Any money received is only a contribution towards expenses.

The so-called "extra risk" is bollocks. There's no more risk in it than if you were travelling to/from a Fretboard GearFest, or playing in the house band at your local church (if you are a churchgoer). Same driver, same vehicle, same stuff in the back. Which, incidentally, your motor insurance won't cover anyway so there's no reason for them to be interested about what's in the back. It's not going to make you  more likely to have a prang, is it?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    The risk is genuine. The number of vehicles on the road at 2am is very small but the proportion of accidents goes up significantly!
    Leaving aside the drink drive issue for a moment, the likely hood of a musician being on the road regularly in the small hours increases the insurance risk (that's not to say it will be your fault). It's simply a numbers game.

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    could you argue you'd just nicked em? Up to plod to then prove you legally owned them and were a working musician.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    Was it also insured for Social, domestic and pleasure or was it just for business?

I would imagine, that if you were not being paid for the gig then it would be S,D &P but if you were being paid for it then it might not..
  • Sounds like this van was probably insured through the plumbing company and only for plumbing duties. 

Bit harsh from the coppers, but not incorrect if the above is true.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ESBlonde said:
    The risk is genuine. The number of vehicles on the road at 2am is very small but the proportion of accidents goes up significantly!
    Leaving aside the drink drive issue for a moment, the likely hood of a musician being on the road regularly in the small hours increases the insurance risk (that's not to say it will be your fault). It's simply a numbers game.

So you could legally drive your gear around in the van at 2am just for the hell of it but not if you've been to a gig?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Seem's very harsh to me-Like others have said my gigs don't cover the cost that playing in a band cost me so I'd hope not to get a fine and a ban on the back of that-I'd tell them I was back from a jam in the future though....JIC

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• lloyd said:
    Seem's very harsh to me-Like others have said my gigs don't cover the cost that playing in a band cost me so I'd hope not to get a fine and a ban on the back of that-I'd tell them I was back from a jam in the future though....JIC
    Persactly.
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    edited September 2014
    VimFuego said:
    could you argue you'd just nicked em? Up to plod to then prove you legally owned them and were a working musician.
    "Are you insured for burglary sir?" :)
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384

I was stopped once with a car full of gear (amps, guitars lights PA etc), Police just asked where I was going. I explained I was coming back from a pub gig and this was the band gear and he had no problem with that, didn't even breath test me.

Your mate must have been really unlucky, and I'm surprised by the severity of the outcome. as others said, I can only assume he was insured for business use only. My brother has a works van and there told specifically that if he's not on work business then the van isn't insured so he's not allowed to drive it (so he can't use it to nip to the shops and things like that at the weekend).

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    edited September 2014 tFB Trader
    I think your mate was just unlucky or was stopped by a couple of them who were just out of police college/by the booker's/needed to get their quota up.

A good few years ago now, we were stopped heading out of Cardiff in my dads van around 1am, full of band gear, 2 of us on a sofa(!) in the back and they asked us where we'd been. The one guy opened up the back to check the gear was what we said it was while the other regaled us with stories of how he was in the Police Brass Band and loved doing gigs himself! Said he'd check us out on MySpace (told you it was a long time ago!).

Then they sent us merrily on our way!

Oh, and the van was insured for carrying Garden Machinery...
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30912
    edited September 2014
    robkay said:
    A friend of mine(a plumber) was stopped in his van last year after an evenings banding.....Police knew the vehicle was insured but when they checked the contents in the rear of van it contained guitar amp and PA System........asking him where he had been he told them that he had a band and had been out playing at a pub.......he was then breath tested which proved negative, tyres and lights were all checked and o.k....
    Then we come to insurance, Police then asked if the vehicle was insured for use in carrying musical equipment and for the occupation of banding, van is insured for his plumbing business with no mention of Musician........
    Outcome......his insurance was declared nill and void and he was charged for having no insurance......quite a stiff fine and a 3 months ban.......
    Rob
    It makes me think that all police are utter cunts.

There is no other word. There's not one good one, each are crooked fuckers who have no interest other than being a cunt.

If you are stopped NEVER EVER EVER say anything other than your name and address. That is it.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:
    robkay said:
    Rob
    It makes me think that all police are utter cunts.

There is no other word. There's not one good one, each are crooked fuckers who have no interest other than being a cunt.

If you are stopped NEVER EVER EVER say anything other than your name and address. That is it.
    It's not all police, but I suspect the bad ones are the ones who get put on friday night 2am random-check duty...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited September 2014
    @stickyfiddle

It IS all police. They have a pack mentality. Maybe one or two that buck the trend but holistically, cunts.

How can Cressida Dick even be allowed liberty? She should be inside for manslaughter. How has Bernard Hogan-Howe not had crimnal proceedings against him?

It's a farce.

I can honestly say if I meet someone socially who is a cop, I absolutely walk away from them.

edited September 2014
    Here we go....

CAW.