Weehbo JTM...what a box this is

What's Hot
JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
edited September 2014 in FX
Been waiting for the honeymoon to end before writing this, but it hasn't, so here it is. The Weehbo JTM is the best stomp box OD I've ever played. 

One caviat: I love Kingsley pedals, especially the Jester. But that's a huge, hand-wired, twin tube-powered pre-amp/clean boost that happens to be in pedal form and voiced to work into the front end of an amp. It sounds incredible, but it's almost an unfair comparison with any other stomp box. It's just another amp channel really. 

As an "ordinary" OD the JTM is No1 for me. I could compare it to dozens of overdrives I've owned but obviously it's a Marshall in a box and thus its competition is, for example, the Catalinbread DLS 3 or the Xotic SL, both of which i've had now and which are nice enough but nowhere near as authentic, as versatile or as inspiring as the Weehbo. 

I've had Wampler's Plexi pedal too and years ago an Xotic BB and liked both well enough, but again, thie Weehbo is in a different class. 

I was aiming for the kind of sound Sam Vilo gets on his YouTube demos. Play any of them for an example...he pretty much sounds the same whatever gear he uses: a combination of his superb technique and style and the substantial volume he appears to record at. Both through an el84 amp and a 6v6 i can replicate that tone with the Weehbo. It's near enough even at low volumes at home, which is quite something. It has grunt, chime, sparkle - yes, all those cliches. It's a low gainer, but stick a decent boost in front of it and it roars like a JCM.

It's such an inspiring pedal that it's made me play more, plugged straight into an amp via this pedal. Am finding i am spending less time dicking around with the myriad pedals on my board trying to find a sound that satisfies me for the next ten minutes. This one, backing off on the guitar volume occasionally (yes, it cleans up brilliantly), is good for two hours straight. 

Strongly recommend it. Can't vouch for any of his other pedals - haven't tried them. Bound to be folk on here way ahead of me....would be interested in Weehbo veterans' views on some of the others, the Dumbledore in particular.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• glad i could help

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited September 2014
    I wouldn't mind knowing how it compares to the TTA jtm in a box, which is a mosfet preamp available on eBay, with built in boost and some switching options.

It does sound cool, but I only found it because I wanted to see what the jtm in a box was like!
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    edited September 2014
    Burgs' demo nails its Angus capabilities:

• That sounds great! I was possibly considering the xotic SL drive but you've got me thinking otherwise now. Did you get yours over here or direct from weebho?
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • Sounds Great do them very reasonably.

• JohnPerry said:
    Sounds Great do them very reasonably.

Out of stock :(
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • Rockgear.de are listing them for £150 plus 8 quid postage on eBaY. Listed wrongly as a JCM drive but the pic and description are the JTM and it's on their site too. I've bought from them before and they were excellent. Worth dropping them a line to confirm it is indeed the JTM

• JohnPerry said:
    Rockgear.de are listing them for £150 plus 8 quid postage on eBaY. Listed wrongly as a JCM drive but the pic and description are the JTM and it's on their site too. I've bought from them before and they were excellent. Worth dropping them a line to confirm it is indeed the JTM

Cheers for that, will give em a shout!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • I had the JCM Drive for a bit, great bit of kit