Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Paul Weller Thread

What's Hot
IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
edited September 2014 in Guitar
Inspired by @gassage 's Bowie back catalogue thread I thought I'd put this one out there. I daren't mention him in the other thread!

In terms of success and back catalogue is Weller underrated?

Three different bands, three distinct styles and successful in them all. With number 1 albums in each and loads of hit singles.

Disbanding the Jam to form the Style Council was a risk - although you can get an indication of the direction he's going in with tracks like Bitterest Pill and The Beat Surrender.

And then into the solo years...who doesn't own a copy of Stanley Road?!

He's gone off the boil a bit in recent years (for me) but I think most artists would kill for his level of success...

EDIT: And he's not the worst guitar player either. In fact he's probably an underrated guitarist as well?

Previously known as stevebrum
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I liked a lot of songs from his two earlier bands courtesy of college radio mostly, haven't heard much of his music since then.  I did see some really good live footage from the early days on youtube recently, they should have put out a live album back then(or did they and I missed it?). 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• GassageGassage Frets: 30912
    edited September 2014
    God. /thread

So many pieces of his music mean so much to me.

None more so that You Do Something to Me. One of my favourite songs ever.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• DulcetJones;351113" said:
    I liked a lot of songs from his two earlier bands courtesy of college radio mostly, haven't heard much of his music since then.  I did see some really good live footage from the early days on youtube recently, they should have put out a live album back then(or did they and I missed it?). 
    Early solo days? Yeah it's called Live Wood and really is first class. There was a VHS at the time as well!
  • Gassage;351115" said:
    God. /thread

That solo gets played most times I pick up a guitar. Except when I was like a rabbit in the headlights at your gaff!

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22795
    edited September 2014
    Iamnobody said:
    And then into the solo years...who doesn't own a copy of Stanley Road?!

I don't.

I  have got Live Wood though, I must admit.  That's the only Weller-related album I actually own.

He is, rather like Bowie, someone I admire but don't particularly enjoy listening to.  Some songs I like, some I can't stand.  On the whole I quite like The Jam, loathe that whole beatnik/coffee bar/pretentious bollocks of The Style Council and quite like the Steve Marriott influenced solo material.

I have to admit my appreciation of his music is coloured by my impressions of him as a person.  In interviews he doesn't come across as very likeable.

• I thought I didn't like the Style Council - until I started buying cd's later in life to complete a collection I guess.

Then I'd listen to them and it would be - shit, I know that one, and that one etc from the radio when I was a kid.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    Again like Bowie I am a fan of pretty much everything he has ever done.

Love The Jam, some really wonderful tracks and sensibilities.

Style Council, a completely different jazzy vibe but still sounds so good. A few people discard their stuff but they made plenty of decent tracks that many other bands would kill for.

Solo stuff, speaks for itself. Wild Wood is my fave. 
    Iamnobody said:
    Gassage;351115" said:
    God. /thread

That solo gets played most times I pick up a guitar. Except when I was like a rabbit in the headlights at your gaff!

Glad you didn't. I'd have cried- it is a very special song for me.

edited September 2014
    All Mod Cons is one of my favourite albums ever.

Setting Sons is a masterpiece as is the criminally under rated Sound Affects

Ironically, my fave Jam song didn't do so well as a single "When You're Young"

I went to the Jam's last ever gig- Brighton Top Rank Xmas 1982- Someone threw a bottle at Bruce and they all walked off in protest.

Rick Buckler's last claim to fame was appearing as a punter on Mike Brewer's Auto Trader!

http://www.ovguide.com/tv_episode/auto-trader-season-1-episode-2-episode-2-585121#

EDIT: Beat Surrender was also an incredible epitaph.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    Gassage said:

Ironically, my fave Jam song didn't do so well as a single "When You're Young"
    Love that four note motif/solo on that one.  :D
    I just listened to a few old Jam songs- christ for a 21 year old his song writing and sense of melody was stunning. As was the playing of all of them- tight as it gets.

And I have to say, as a gayer, I always fancied the pants off him when I (and he) was young.

• @gassage you should check out The Jam DRC youngish tribute band (although it must be 10 years or more since I saw them first) based in The Midlands and do as good a job as any Jam tribute I've seen...and not just the hits.

That said if you've seen the real deal it might not appeal to you.

I'm not big on tributes bands but the Mrs likes to go every once in a while.
    I saw the original line up twice- the first time at the W-ton Civic Hall.

A girl at school fancied me and bought me a ticket to go with her. I gleefully accepted and then ignored her for the rest of the term. Fiona Evans....

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    Don't really like Stanley Road at all but I love Wild Wood and the first solo album.  Like a lot of Jam stuff as well - mainly because I was a teenager when Eton Rifles and Going Underground were released and it was just so much more melodic and clever than the other similar stuff around. Style Council leave me cold. 

I've seen him live as a solo artist quite a few times and he is a stunning live presence. Great, tight band as well.

Didn't fancy him, though, but my missus would leave me without a backward glance if he walked in and winked at her. Mind you, she'd do that with Anthony Kiedis, Eddie Vedder or Dave Grohl too. 

And probably several hundred others, if I'm honest.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    edited September 2014
    Mr Clean is one of my favourite Jam tunes and Private Hell, and The Butterfly Collector, and Funeral Pyre, and Eton Rifles and Burning Sky - actually I don't have a fave because there's too many good ones.

Guitar wise though I like playing Mr Clean and Tube Station for bass...
  • Private Hell live:

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6490
    edited September 2014
    How Sound Affects doesn't feature in those "Best Album Ever" polls is utterly beyond me. It's a British masterpiece and a high point of a band with several high points.
    I think disbanding The Jam when he did has proven over time to have been a shrewd move but by goodness has Weller disappointed me since. Doesn't help that I utterly detest Ocean Colour Scene, half of whom have been in his backing band.

@chuffola- you clearly mean Eating Trifles!

+ 1 re tight- he fell out wuth the superb Steve White though, didn't he?

@Iamnobody Mention Mr Clean again and if I get the chance I'll fuck up your life

I hate you and your wife.

• That's harsh @gassage I can understand hating me but you've never met my wife.

If you see me in the street - look away
    'Cause I don't ever want to catch you looking at me...

I think he parted ways with Whitey for a change as much as anything. The new drummer is less technical...

@rocknrolldave I think Craddock is a decent guitarist. River Boat Song riff?
  • I'm with the majority - love The Jam, not fussed on the Style Council, and I like his solo stuff. Standouts for me are Down In a Tube Station at Midnight, Man In The Corner Shop and Sunflower from later on.

Beat Surrender was no.1 on my birthday...