Bakelite

What's Hot
jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
edited September 2014 in Making & Modding
Today, while pickguard making, I discovered Bakelite is an absolute b'tard to cut. Sort of jigsaw blade should I be looking at chaps?

Thankfully routes beautifully. Was well chuffed.
"You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• use a metal cutting blade the teeth are smaller Bakelite is very brittle
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Cheers dude, seems to be the way, online searches indicate the words 'diamond blade' too. Brittle is an understatement!
  • harpoharpo Frets: 177
    If you use a fretsaw it cuts really well, but takes a mahoosive long time Can I ask where you got the sheet Bakelite from and how thick it is / price etc....I've been looking for some for years
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    jd0272 said:
    Brittle is an understatement!
    I think the full term you're looking for is 'carcinogenic'. It's made from both phenol and formaldehyde.

Be very careful with the dust if you're cutting or sanding it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

@harpo it's 1.53mm, just keep on eBay.com often surfaces. Ended up drilling it out just off template and rasp/filing down before the router passes. Turned out great. Currently looking at 1/16" Garolite XX at McMaster Carr site tho.

@ICBM yeah I know, masked up, outside, bottom of garden.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Personally i would not even attempt to cut it with a jigsaw a scroll saw is the way to go never had any breakage with one 
    jd0272 the McMaster site does not reveal the postage until they charge your card watch out for that

I get mine off a  Canadian seller on ebay 12 quid for 2 sheets no custom charges  link below

Absentia;356892" said:
    Personally i would not even attempt to cut it with a jigsaw a scroll saw is the way to go never had any breakage with one 

jd0272 the McMaster site does not reveal the postage until they charge your card watch out for that

I get mine off a  Canadian seller on ebay 12 quid for 2 sheets no custom charges  link below

Same dude I used but he's got none at present. :( Drilling it out and then rasping/filing worked just great, if a little slow! Will be on its way to a member here as soon as I can get to the Post Office.