NGD - Seems I can't stay away from digital stuff..

What's Hot
Si_Si_ Frets: 384
edited September 2014 in Guitar
Picked up a Taylor Variax JTV-59 yesterday.  My band play a few songs that require tuning down a 1/2 step, while others are in standard, so rather than jumping about changing guitars all the time I thought i'd give a variax a go. 

So far so good, the actual guitar build is excellent, if a little heavy. The Neck is big and chunky similar to the Les Paul Custom which is great and the magnetic pickups sound good. The digital side of things is a lot better than I expected, switching over to the digital Lesser model sounds almost the same at the magnetic pickups but brings in all the tuning options as well which is perfect, plus I've set it up to have a strat neck pickup when the pickup switch is up which is ideal for some of our songs.

It also does a decent acoustic and 12 string sound, certainly would be fine for a pub gig, I need to investigate ways of splitting the signal so I can send the acoustic sounds to the PA rather than through my main amp.. Not sure if this is possible but hope so.

Any other Variax users on here?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Nice score, I had one (it's now with @sunshinewelly) and it was great. Got rid as the band split up and didn't need it anymore. Would get one again I think if I needed it, certainly a cracking tool for covers bands.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have one - got it from @markslade07 - its a lovely piece of kit. I have the JTV69. Great guitar even without the digital gubbings.

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Lovely looking guitar, I with the would sell retrofit variax units.
  • You could use the Line 6 XPS AB unit thing to split it, has jack out for guitar amp or xlr out for acoustic then you just stomp to switch between them. Funny power supply for it though so a simple AB might be better
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Now the variax guts come in a seemingly decent built/looking/playing guitar I'd love to try one...

If we bought guitars purely as functional items based on need rather than want I suspect a few more of us might already own one. I'll define need here as a guitar that covers a hell of a lot of standard sounds and tunings in a band situation.

If I was gigging I reckon I'd grab one. As it happens I don't 'need' one and 'want' a collection of the classic guitars.

I will be interested to hear how it works out for you. Do any well known players use one?
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    I can't see it ever replacing my proper Gibson's, However, as a tool for a covers band I can see myself using it more often than not, especially if I like the acoustic sounds at band level (I'm having nightmare feedback problems with my pepper acoustic).

Great practice tonight with the variax.. it really is the prefect covers band guitar, and non of the feedback problems I'm struggling with when using a acoustic, this sounds just as good and no issues at all with it.

Every covers guitarist should have one..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I haven't played one but I have played a Variax transplant my friend built. I was pretty impressed with it actually.
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    What does it offer re: tunings / tones etc?
  • I have a JTV-69 and they're great guitars.

Re splitting the signal to take the acoustic sounds to a PA, I use a Mooer Micro ABY switch and that works fine. It definitely adds an extra dimension to the acoustic sounds if you play them through a full range speaker.

The ability to set up custom pickup combinations and tunings in the Workbench software and then save them in the custom presets in the guitar is also really useful.

• close2u;355096" said:
    What does it offer re: tunings / tones etc?

http://uk.line6.com/jtv-59p/features

:D
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4726
    edited September 2014
    Nice looking guitar. I've been toying with getting one (yup, I'm in a covers band too).  Does it also do away with the 50Hz hum you get from single coil strats/tele's etc?  If so, it could be perfect.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    sure does
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4726
    Cool!  I'll keep my eyes open for a 'pre-loved' one!  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
    edited September 2014
    Has anyone had the idea to make these thing midi controllable yet? Might have to buy one if they do. 

Used to have a VG strat but due to the fiddly knobs I'd get a DADGAD telecaster when I wanted an open G 12 string acoustic.
    edited September 2014
    Not midi control, but if you use it with a POD or DT amp then you can switch guitar models with the patch.