Strings for acoustic

What's Hot
I need some new strings for my Washburn parlour guitar but don't know what gauge to get (no idea what's on there now), or what this 80/20, 80/15, phosphour bronze malarky is all about?

Thoughts please :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Most acoustics tend to come with 12 gauge (0.012") as standard.  Personally I prefer 11s though.  They are a bit easier to play.  13s might give you a bit more volume but the extra tension will make them harder to play.

Different alloys will give a different sound.  I like phosphor bronze on most of my guitars.  In my experience Phosphor-bronze also tends to last longer than 80/20 bronze.

Coated ones should last a long time but they tend to be very zingy and toppy.  They are a bit marmite.  Some people love them and others hate them.

I'd recommend D'Addario Phosphor bronze in 11 or 12 gauge as a starting point (EJ26 or EJ16).  If you don't like them then try something different next time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    I'd also go for 11s, particularly if you're mainly an electric player. The tension is only a little less than 12s - in fact, in many sets some of the wound string gauges are exactly the same - but they do play more easily. Many 11s sets are deliberately aimed at electric players by using a noticeably lighter G string as well. (Which I personally don't like, but then I like a wound G on many electric guitars as well.)

Smaller, lighter-built guitars don't need big heavy strings to sound good either, so don't torture yourself unnecessarily.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24802
    edited September 2014
    As per @crunchman - coated strings divide opinion. I really cannot get on with them on electrics but really like Elixir Nanowebs on my acoustics.

They not only last spectacularly - they retain a 'usable' tone for a long time as well. I find most strings too bright, when first fitted, they then dull slightly and sound really good, then dull too much and become weak sounding, with poor intonation.

The Elixirs stay in the middle of that 'cycle' for a long time.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    As per @crunchman - coated strings divide opinion. I really cannot get on with them on electrics but really like Elixir Nanowebs on my acoustics.

They not only last spectacularly - they retain a 'usable' tone for a long time as well. I find most strings too bright, when first fitted, they then dull slightly and sound really good, then dull too much and become weak sounding, with poor intonation.

interesting. I also really hate the sound of new strings on an acoustic. I've never tried coated strings, may try some elixirs when I've got through my current stock.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

VimFuego said:

interesting. I also really hate the sound of new strings on an acoustic. I've never tried coated strings, may try some elixirs when I've got through my current stock.
    If you try Elixirs there is a significant difference between the Nanowebs and the Polywebs.  To me the Nanowebs feel a lot more like conventional strings.
  • I haven't tried many brands. Coated strings feel a bit weird.
    I just get the D'addario's crunchman suggests in his first reply.

I have to say.... the acoustic is strung with 12s but I'd prefer 11s (I think!). BUT.... wouldn't that require a change to the action (groan)?
  • Thanks all, D'Addario 11's it is then (use their 10's on electrics).

I recently changed from 12's to 11's, not noticed any issues with the action etc.

You can normally get away with changing from 12s to 11s.  I've got 4 guitars that would have been strung with 12s new that I've strung with 11s and not adjusted.

The action may be a little lower because there is less tension.  It's unlikely but If it is at the point of buzzing then you should be able to just loosen the truss rod a little bit to compensate.

crunchman said:

VimFuego said:

If you try Elixirs there is a significant difference between the Nanowebs and the Polywebs.  To me the Nanowebs feel a lot more like conventional strings.

noted, thx.

• Hmm, bugger! I just went and bought two packets of gauge 12 strings.... maybe I should have bought a packet of 11s.
    I actually have quite a few packets of unused strings lying around. Who would buy these!?
  • IanpdqIanpdq Frets: 131
    I use D'Addario 11's on my Acoustic but I would not buy them from ebay lots of fakes around

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I recently ordered some off amazon - surprisingly cheap! Feel a bit bad, though - always used stringbusters previously.