Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Who makes the best P90's?

What's Hot

Comments

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Oil City make excellent P90s. Was playing a set in a Yamaha semi ten days ago and they sounded sublime. The extra cash for others is not worth it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuff;354549" said:
    blueskunk said:

richardhomer;354124" said:P90s.... Forgive me - I'm a pedant.

Yorn

Yawn,surely?    >:D<
    Glad u noticed :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

Depends whether you want 50's jazz / Blues smoothness or a bit more 60's rock. 

SD Antiquities are fantastic pickups, compare well with the mid-50's / early 60's Gibson P90's I have.  

Shed are great also, a little more gritty than the Antiquities, sound like more like a 1967 set I have which are pure Pete Townsend. 

Modern Gibson are very good too, much like their mid / late 60's offerings.

I haven't liked any Bare Knuckle P90's I've tried / heard ... they have an odd harshness to my ears, even their very low wind versions.

Haven't tried either Oil City or Mojo but lots of people on here seem to be happy with them. 

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    For the money Kent Armstrong .. had a couple of sets. Great sounding pickups.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I had some humbucker sized p90s from oil city for my firebird and there are great! Dynamic, punchy, articulate. Great pickups. I have BKPs and all my other guitars and the oil city's are easily a match at a much better price. Great personal service from Ash too
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Duppy03 said:
    @p90fool that makes perfect sense and something I've been overlooking. Anyone know the distance from wraparound bridge to pole pieces on 50's Les Paul Junior?

Hey Matt,

I've been using Mojo who are excellent (That's the unit in my '57 Replica) and i've also just tried Oil City, another UK builder who are great too.

If you want to measure my original '55 at any point just let me know :-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
    Thanks for all the input, I'm going to dig around and see what sound clips I can find.

@miserneil what I heard coming from your Junior was awesome. Thanks for the offer of measuring up the '55.

At the moment I'd say I'm swaying on the Gibson/Mojo side.
    tFB Trader
    Duppy03 said:
    Thanks for all the input, I'm going to dig around and see what sound clips I can find.

@miserneil what I heard coming from your Junior was awesome. Thanks for the offer of measuring up the '55.

At the moment I'd say I'm swaying on the Gibson/Mojo side.
    No worries.

Marc (Mojo) is a great guy too, PC has/had some of his PAF's in his LP Classic.

(formerly miserneil)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    TheGuitarWeasel;354555" said:
    I do Alnico 4 for pickups near the bridge ... or even alnico 3. Alnico 5 for ones further away ...

Simples ... Squeak.
    There ya go, a winder who understands the importance of fine-tuning according to placement and application, rather than just trotting out the usual vague descriptions.

That gets my vote!
  • Mojo beyond doubt

+1.

Also a vote for TV Jones and Oil City Pickups
  • Another endorsement for TV Jones and Oil City. Have a tvJones T90 on my SEOne and it is a superb p/up. Recently had an Oil City Brassknuckle fitted to my blade RH4 and it is a wonderful pick up, ok its not a P90 but the quality of workmanship and quality of conversations I had with Ash tells made the whole experience very rewarding and his p/ups are underpriced
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10376
    tFB Trader
    p90fool said:
    TheGuitarWeasel;354555" said:
    I do Alnico 4 for pickups near the bridge ... or even alnico 3. Alnico 5 for ones further away ...

Simples ... Squeak.
    There ya go, a winder who understands the importance of fine-tuning according to placement and application, rather than just trotting out the usual vague descriptions.

That gets my vote!
    P90s are one of the oldest pickup designs and one of the simplest to make ... but also one of the easiest to underestimate and screw up. I had a 70s LP special that had the most gorgeous Gibson soap bars on so my first nod always goes to Gibson's own. On that Special they were sweet, but with a rude and aggressive edge as you dug in. Not a hint of harshness. Unfortunately I have heard some new Gibson P90s that don't sound as good as the inexpensive Wilkinsons! Tuning the magnet choice (and for that matter turn count)  to the bridge positioning (and body wood) is a luxury you get with us small manufacturers but for those who are choosing from the larger makers (or Far Eastern ones) try these guidelines:
    1. Don't go for super over wound it's the kiss of death... P90s sound most traditional in a narrow window of output.
    2. Look for alnico 4 if you have a 'toppy' guitar, or even alnico 3 for it's more compressed, jazzy feel.
    3. Upgrade your pots and caps ... particularly on a single pickup junior ... you will be using them lots.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks @TheGuitarWeasel.  I can see why your PUP's are so liked.
    Montys Guitars PUP's have also been brought to my attention. Anyone had experience with those?
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    2. Look for alnico 4 if you have a 'toppy' guitar, or even alnico 3 for it's more compressed, jazzy feel.

What if you have a warmer guitar? Alnico 5? (Alongside a not too hot output, I'm guessing, so the pickups don't darken up again?)
    tFB Trader
    Duppy03;355644" said:
    Montys Guitars PUP's have also been brought to my attention. Anyone had experience with those?
    I tried some of Matt's Tele pickups at a guitar show last year, awesome tone and clarity. Nalle Colt from Vintage Trouble uses Monty's Humbuckers.
    (formerly miserneil)
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    I upgraded the pups on my PRS SE to Lollars and this transformed the sound. Not cheap but great sounding....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Hi. I've got a Haussel P-90 in my Krautster. Awesome German pickup in the best guitar I've ever played.
  • Duppy03 said:
    Yes i have some single coils and humbuckers and they're really good. Give Matt a call, he's a lovely chap.
  • He did some P90s for a friends Firebird too, they were sweet!