Composition Challenge #4 - Voting

Antique_GuitarsAntique_Guitars Frets: 1167
edited December 2014 in Making Music
Hi Everyone,

Thanks to all that entered the competition.

Please use this thread to cast your votes for your favourite entries to Fretboard Challenge #4.
-------------------------------------------------------

Voting System - voters can pick their top 3 favourite entries.

First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point

Entry with the most points wins.

Simply post in this thread your top three choices for winner in order, 1st choice first etc etc.

----------------------------------------------------------

(Note for Entrants of the competition: Self Voting is NOT Allowed)

Please do not post anything else other than your vote in the thread, please use the other discussion thread HERE to talk about the entries.

The winner will be announced just before midnight on the 30th September, this thread will be locked and voting closed at 11.30pm on that day.

(you can edit your vote up to the time the thread is locked)

A reminder of the competition Guidlines:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Compose a piece of music to accompany an excerpt from the Zombie Car Chase / Attack scene from George A Romero's -  Night of the Living Dead (1968). (Don't worry it is in the public domain and is no longer under copyright)

You can use any instuments or samples you wish, there are no musical rules to this challenge. You can make the composition as full or sparse as you like and you are welcome to add in the minimal sound effects from the scene that have been removed if you wish.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Entries: (in no particular order) (Entrants - please contact me if there are any mistakes with your uploads)

Please see all the entries uploaded on SoundCloud HERE

PLEASE NOTE THIS CHALLENGE INVOLVES COMPOSING TO A FILM EXTRACT SO YOU NEED TO VOTE BASED ON THE YOUTUBE UPLOADS RATHER THAN THE SOUNDCLOUD UPLOADS.

Please only vote for tracks marked (Fretboard Challenge #4)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grunfeld - NLD

Please note that Grunfeld has submitted an entry that strictly speaking sits out of the rules of the competition, I have however uploaded it as it is very good and creative. You are welcome to vote for it if you like but please consider the rules of the challenge when making your vote. Ultimately the decission is up to you the forum members.

Thomasross20 - Zombie

Lev - NLD

Daveww - Zombie Car Chase

SteamAbacus - Unquiet Spirit

Fretwired - Monstre

Thecolourbox - I'm Sorry Suarez

Old Is Gold
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited September 2014
    Interesting ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Everyone please read the note about Grunfelds Track (Above the video)
    Old Is Gold
    Antique_Guitars said:
    Everyone please read the note about Grunfelds Track (Above the video)
    I don't understand .. what's potentially wrong with Grunfeld's entry ..

• Fretwired said:
    Antique_Guitars said:
    The competition was to write a piece of music specifically for the 1min 35secs piece of video that I provided, what Grunfeld has done is make his own extended video mashup instead. It is most excellent but it is outside of the rules to a degree but I will let you guys decide if you wish to vote for it or not.
    Old Is Gold

Fretwired said:
    Antique_Guitars said:
    The competition was to write a piece of music specifically for the 1min 35secs piece of video that I provided, what Grunfeld has done is make his own extended video mashup instead. It is most excellent but it is outside of the rules to a degree but I will let you guys decide if you wish to vote for it or not.
    Understand .. my mistake. So technically I cocked up by making a 2 minute track ... ;-)

• Antique_GuitarsAntique_Guitars Frets: 1167
    edited September 2014
    Fretwired;354231" said:
    Antique_Guitars said:

Fretwired said:

Antique_Guitars said:

Understand .. my mistake. So technically I cocked up by making a 2 minute track ... ;-)
    Technically yes a little bit but you weren't the only one so we can be flexible.
    Old Is Gold
  • :-$

Technically yes a little bit but you weren't the only one oonene.ooto
    So maybe people shouldn't vote for me as the film ended before the music .. :-)

• Fretwired said:

Technically yes a little bit but you weren't the only one oonene.ooto
    So maybe people shouldn't vote for me as the film ended before the music .. :-)
    its a minor infringement, but potentially some people might not want to but that is up to them. Anyway we should carry this on in discussion thread.
    Old Is Gold
  • Hahaha, listened to them all - amazing! 
    Will vote at the weekend when I listen again :)
    Mine was definitely minimalist in comparison lol!
  • LevLev Frets: 228
    My voting:

@Lev 5 points
    @steamabacus 3 points
    @thomasross20 1 point

I thought Grunfeld's piece was very good, but I guess it didn't fit the brief - if we don't stick to rules we could have chaos.

• Superb work lads. 

Just as well I didn't get it together to enter this time, because you work puts the ideas I was toying with to shame. 

Well played all. 

5 points for @Daveww who produced a piece that gets the spirit of the clip. Fitted really well IMO. 

3 points for @Lev. Had the Doors scored this film they may well have come up with something like your death march boogie woogie! Loved it. 

1 point for @Fretwired. I think that really worked as well. Well played mate. 

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27497
    I've listened to these a fair few times now, so I'm going to vote as follows ...

5 points @Daveww - absolutely loved the way that the music fitted the action of the film.  Just - and only just - edged it from ...

3 points @Lev - my winner on first listen for the inclusion of all the FX in there.  Brilliant!

1 point @TheColourBox - though I was a bit challenged by listening to vocals on a silent movie soundtrack!  The music was fitting though so gets the final point ahead of a couple of others.

I'm afraid that I discounted Grunfeld's entry when I realised that I couldn't synch the sound to the visuals (after I'd spent a little time trying).
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited September 2014
    Well, I had a different story to tell, (and it really wasn’t about zombies), and I didn’t expect many people to understand it.  However, some people will understand it all too clearly.  But as I said in my PM to Sheldon when I offered this piece was that I wasn’t fussed about it being in the competition, just happy to have some people look at it and maybe some would get it.  

5 points — Fret
    3 points — Lev
    1 point  —  Steamabaccus
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    edited September 2014
    Hard to remember what was what, I should have made notes. Reminds me of those B and W clips they used to put under Wreckless Eric on OGWT. 5 points to Steamabacus, 3 to daveww, 1 to thecolourbox.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    edited September 2014
    Props to all who entered.

As others have said loved @Grunfeld very creative and crafted entry.  I would have put it top if it fitted the task but very arty and artful indeed.

Difficult to choose but:
    1. @Fretwired - great musicality as well as good fit to the video - 5 points
    2. @Lev - constant sort of impending doom and inevitability to it and the dredits were a nice touch too - 3 points
    3. @Thecolourbox - Liked the guitar work behind and the mix with the vocals - 1 point
    Something about the tone and chords on @thomasross20 reminded me of something off the old Love album Forever Changes.  I thought about doing an acoustic one myself but didn't in the end as thought it'd be hard to pull off.  @steamabacus as usual really good mix and recording skills but didn't fit the video quite as well IMHO.
  • 1st    @Thecolourbox ; 'I'm Sorry Suarez'     cinq points
    2nd   @Daveww       ;   'Zombie Car Chase'  trois points
    3rd    @Lev                  'NLD'                          un point
  • 5 points to @lev
    3 points to @steamabacus
    1 point to @thomasross20
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • @Grunfeld - Very atmospheric - was that your voice!?
    @Lev - great sounds there which fitted it well! Did you make those zombie sounds?
    @Daveww - haha, thought this was great, well suited to the video and some great raw guitar! Love how it ended on a happy chord!
    @SteamAbacus - you're one to watch out for, always unique - drums on this were interesting!
    @Fretwired - hahahaha, love the Matrix-esque bass on this lol! Really gets the heart going! 
    @thecolourbox - Some great guitar sounds on this one - those higher pitched wails at intervals were powerful, I thought.

Votes (all great entries as usual!!):

5 points to @Daveww
    3 points to @thecolourbox
    1 point to @Fretwired