Recommend me a fuzz

What's Hot
wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
I currently have a green muff clone great on guitar and bass. But I'd like something not as thick. That can do moderate over drive as well as quite snarly but vintage style fuzz. Any suggestions?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Keeley Fuxx Head. One for sale on here somewhere :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11875
    Basic Audio Scarab Deluxe.
  • Anyone got the terminal fuzz? Looks like it can do everything I want it to. I think that or a classic fuzz face might work for me
  • Sorry don't have a Terminal. I do however own quite a lot fuzz boxes. Put these on your list to check out:
    Fairfield Circuitry Four Eyes
    Caroline guitar company Olympia
    Big Ear NYC Loaf
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17606
    edited September 2014 tFB Trader
    The Hybrid OD/Fuzz pedals I have tried are:

Keeley Fuzz Head - Raw gritty overdrive sounds which make way to a chunky rhythm fuzz. 

Hot Cake - A light OD that becomes a fat splattery fuzz at high gains.

Roger Mayer Mongoose - A very thick distortion with fuzz elements. 

Wampler Velvet - A stacked distortion fuzz type affair designed with GIlmour/EJ type tones in mind. On my board at the moment and very impressive. Can also do a White Stripes type distortion.

The one I haven't tried and would like to is the Suhr Rufus.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a straight Fuzz Face as they can be quite wooley, hate buffers, have naff all level boost and only work really at full distortion using the volume knob to control the sound. They are great for people that are prepared to adapt their playing to the way the pedal works, but many of the modern designs make them much more usable. I much prefer SIlicon to Germanium as well, but YMMV.
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited September 2014
    A really, really good one is the axis fuzz. Easy to clone for a forum builder pedal, too.

Tone freaks will bad mouth because it uses silicon, but it sounds the balls, and with the volume knob it cleans up into over drive and even sparkling cleans.

Easy to set up - max fuzz, max volume, then take a touch off each so it doesn't squeal. It's brilliant.

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Skreddy Hybrid Fuzz Driver
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Skreddy Bloody Knuckle
  • Skreddy P19
    Guitarsystems Fuzztool Junior
  • Dr. Scientist Frazz Dazzler (for sale on the forum (not by me)) sounds good.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30912
    Skreddy Lunar. Nail head hit.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• "Not as thick"...blasphemy!!!!
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    Swart fuzzy boost!
    or some kind of tonebender
  • Another vote for the Skreddy Lunar Module mini deluxe. It can go from low gain overdrive to quite nasty fuzz.
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    EQD hoof!!
  • Thanks for the tips hopefully going to get a clone of this or save up for the real deal http://www.acidfuzz.com/pedals-are-built-to-order-and-will-ship-out-within
  • You could try a throbak stone bender, cracking vintage tonebender fuzz but also has a switch which changes the input gain and turns it more into a germanium overdrive. Great pete thorn demo on you tube, otherwise contact Forge on this forum as he may be able to make you a bespoke fuzz to suit what you want. I have three of his pedals and another on the way because I have found them to be the best fuzz pedals I have used, hand wired, point to point incredible build quality too. There is a nice gearmandude demo of his spartan fuzz on youtube