Recording the Rehearsals

Hi All,

I'd like to record our rehearsals but I suspect just putting any old recording device in the room isn't going to work because of the volume we generate. I suspect a laptop mic is going to explode with those volumes!

Is anyone here successfully recording their bands rehearsals?

What are you using and do you have any advice?

I did a search on here and found advice about a Zoom H2 but that was back in 2013 so maybe there are other (cheaper?) alternatives?

Thanks
Mike
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I got an iRig Pre (works with Android phones), then just set a cheap-ish condenser mic up about 3 feet from the kick drum pointing away from the drums (we rehearse all pointing at each other). Records pretty well, when I can remember to take it. There's a free app that goes with it.
    <space for hire>
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    I use a stereo tascam thingy that plugs into iphones/ipads. Easily copes with loud volume. Because it's stereo you just place it somewhere to give you a stereo image that won't make you burst into tears when you listen back to it.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633

I did a co-I recording of various artists using just two AKG P150s , an NI KA6 and an i3 HP laptop last Christmas at our labour club.

Not a bad result, drums a bit loud but squashable. Ran Samplitude SE8.

Dave.

• I use a Tascam dr-05. It can record 96khz and takes a 32gb card - if I need better mics I take my laptop and Fast Track Pro + sm57s.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17608
    tFB Trader
    I've used a zoom before and that worked well. Now we have everything going into our desk so it's easy
  • damodaidamodai Frets: 38

Similar to the op's question.

I've got a scarlett 2i2  interface came bundled with a condenser mic ( in their all red studio bundle)
    I've used this successfully as a way to record vocal & guitar  ideas for songwriting. 

I'm thinking of using it to record rehearsals using just one mic on a single track . Drums , bass , 2 guitar/vocals ,vocals both through PA and one guitar using Line 6 variax/POD through the pa. Drums bass and other guitar are'nt mic'ed.  The room is'nt particularly big and we do play pretty loud , classic rock,blues,country rock  type stuff (not metal )
    Not as demos just as a way of recording any songwriting ideas .  
    Are there any issues that i need to be aware of  ?  

• I've got a Zoom H2 I place in the middle of the rehearsal room. It has a switch for whether you want the mic to be in lo/med/or hi gain depending on the volume you're generating. Decent enough quality and then you can drop the .WAV file into some audio software to tweak the EQ.
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    edited November 2014
    I use a Tascam DR-07 and it's very good. I think if you use just about a device that has an adjustable recording level it's going to sound pretty good. Don't go for a recorder that has a fixed level they still distort.
  • if you've got an iphone the Zoom IQ5 is excellent. picks up low end nicely.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    We use a Zoom H6 and it's fucking amazing.
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557

Last time I tried it, I used a 1970's Ghetto blaster, it has to be said that the recordings had something of a 'vintage' analogue feel to them, to some that might be described as 'crap'.

I recently digitised them and sent the contactable band member a memento, the reply I got was "we were better than I remembered !" Clearly his hearing has deteriorated somewhat.