guitarbuild doing free UK postage on some auctions

What's Hot
imaloneimalone Frets: 748
edited September 2014 in Making & Modding
Not sure if they're doing this on ones they're struggling to get rid off or just something they're trying on new auctions, but haven't seen it before.
Nice alder strat-routed T shape: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201169913467
Something called sugar pine:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FREE-UK-POSTAGE-GUITAR-BODY-SC-2-pc-Sugar-Pine-Lightweight-1-8-Kg-112727-/201169987987?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2ed6aa6993
Represents nearly 1/3rd discount if you manage to get one near the starting price.
Must stop looking at ebay.

Edit, missed the sugar pine one is correspondingly more than their 'normal' starting bid (though seems to vary a bit by wood and number of pieces), but the T is still pretty good.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    That sugar pine looks interesting! At £51 I won't be bothering though
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Some nice guitar bodies there  the telecaster bodies with the strat routing never seem to sell
    if they want to clear their surplus stock any body over 2.00 kg needs to be auctioned with a lower starting price to move them on

• The tele body with strat routes looks great, but I'm not sure what scratchplate fits - does a standard strat one fit?

I want a sugar pine tele.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1771

Shame they haven't got a thinline tele :-(  There are some lovely bodies with contrasting wood inlays.

What's sugar pine? Is it supposed to be better than swamp ash (which I thought was the panacea for guitar bodies, lol).

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Some American variety of pine, had to google it. You see pine on telecasters quite often, but not many people specify a species.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1771
    imalone said:
    Some American variety of pine, had to google it. You see pine on telecasters quite often, but not many people specify a species.
    I didn't think that pine was really strong enough to take the string tension unless its crazily thick, so I've learnt something new :-)
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited September 2014
    BigMonka;359659" said:
    imalone said:

I didn't think that pine was really strong enough to take the string tension unless its crazily thick, so I've learnt something new :-)
    Apparently, a lot of the old old teles were pine.

They still work!

(info from my own thread about these. I'm getting one).
  • 1950 Fender used pine on the Esquires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    The ultimate tdpri thread on pine: http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaster-discussion-forum/78112-pine-bodies-why-did-they-not-continue-them.html
    It's certainly strong enough for bodies, but all the pine I've ever met (in furniture) dents easily. There are different types, and sugar pine is (so t'internet leads me to believe) is one of the stronger ones, hence used for guitars, but still soft enough to dent. I've seen a few nice looking pine builds.

Absentia said:
    1950 Fender used pine on the Esquires
    Ah, had always thought it was broadcasters, but looks like you're right. Esquires before they were esquires though, basically the first model of the tele/esquire.
  • I'm going to take a punt on one I think. I won't be able to afford hardware or anything for a while but it's a cheap bit of fun, right? I love using wudtone anyway.