Pickups for Charvel So Cal

What's Hot
I like the Duncan Distortions that come with my Charvel but I can't help but think I would like something with a touch less output, maybe a little less compressed as I like dabbling with lower gained fusion type of tones but still able to bring 'the rockz!'

I've considered a few

Dimarzio Fred
Suhr Doug Aldrich
Bareknuckle Holy Diver
Dimarzio Transition
Seymour Duncan Jason Becker pickup
Apc Persuader

Are there any you lot would suggest that I haven't listed?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I love the Perpetual Burn but I've found it sounds better with a 250k volume pot and a 500k tone pot.
    Tamed the top and gave a better mid range.
  • Duncan Screamin' Demon (and no, they're NOT high output).

Work really well in superstrats - open and 'airy' but with great sustain, too.
  • My SoCal has a tone zone I the bridge and evo in the neck

They are awesomes
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17608
    tFB Trader
    Get oil city to make you something
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1845
    edited September 2014
    "Other pickup manufacturers are available"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    edited September 2014
    Fred and Aldrich are two of my favourite pickups.....the Aldrichs were in the 80s Neon Drip that you played at the Gearfest and I know you're already familiar with the Fred.

The Norton is also awesome, and the Air Norton at the neck is also wonderful - its this or the Paf Pro at the neck that works for me if I'm not looking at Aldrichs.

Saying that, some of the other Suhr pickups are lovely and very articulate too.
  • There are so many pups I don't know where to start! 
  • Bk vhii, Duncan Custom Custom, dimarzio air zone.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I've pretty much given up trying other pickups now and just fit the Suhr Aldrich to all my HB guitars,  currently I've got them in a les paul, a superstrat and two US prs guitars. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DarrenDarren Frets: 168
    I've currently got a set of BKP VHII's in my Charvel..But my favourite combo is a Dimarzio AT-1 at the bridge and a Dimarzio Air Norton for the neck. I'm going to be changing back to those soon.
  • Articulate organic pickups which swell and can rock out include Duncan JB bridge, Dimarzio 36th anniversary set and AT-1 bridge and The Breed neck.

JB is pretty good to be honest, it's warm and it screams, but you could experiment and try a magnet swap for an alnico 2.  It has Alnico 5 on it.  Always wanted to try this.Have to try the Custom Custom one day.

Tonezone and EVO is good.  Tonezone also uses an Alnico 5, but much more crunchier, defined and 2 dimensional tone though, not metal as such, quite satisfying really percussive muted and loads of low string definition, which gets lost on the warmer, more organic pickups above which are more wallowy and it squeals without being too shrill.

Agree about the Duncan distortion.  Way too shrill overkill.  Makes you deaf.  Just Horrible. The Dimarzio Super Distortion on the other hand is very good too.

Dimarzio's are good because they come in crème.  Crème pickups always sound better.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • monquixote;358044" said:
    Get oil city to make you something
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    My SoCal has a tone zone I the bridge and evo in the neck

They are awesomes

As does mine.

I found lowering the pickups helped to get a much better, less muddy sound from them.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• MDKVMDKV Frets: 56
    I use a JB and '59 in mine. 
  • Cheers everyone, I'm still leaning towards the aldrich humbucker at the moment. I may give my Custom 5 a whirl and see what it's like
    I have one of @Van_Hayden Bulldog Extremists with an Alnico5 mag in the bridge of my Jackson. Sounds exactly as I asked for (Think Dave Murray/Adrian Smith/Chris DeGarmo/Michael Wilton). And it's the same as our @Clarky uses for much more than just heavy-stuff.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

I have Bulldog pups in three of my guitars.. two Morgan V6's and an Ibanez RG.

They are superb.. tight and bright so they offer great definition.. powerful enough to give the amp something nice to chew on, but not so powerful as to make them too single minded..

overly hot pups tend to sound great for riff tones, but get shrill as you head up the neck.. so the soloing tones suffer..

the Bulldogs are great in all situations.. from pretty cleans [ambient arps / strummy stuff etc], aggressive cleans [funk] through to chunky riffing tones and sweet hi-gain leads.. my Morgan V6 / Bulldog combination was by design a single minded headbanger's guitar with no tone control and a 3-way pup selector.. it turned out to be so much more than that.. surprisingly so..

play every note as if it were your first
    I meant to say, in addition to what Clarky has already said, I've used my Jackson for Pink Floyd and Metallica covers in a live situation.

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    in a live situation, I've used my V6's for prog rock/metal [DC Band] and poppy funk [Civilians]
    play every note as if it were your first
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Small shop pickups have the advantage that the maker will listen to you and figure out what you want, then make it