Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Vigier Excalibur vs Suhr Modern vs ???

What's Hot
AngryGoldfishAngryGoldfish Frets: 19
edited September 2014 in Guitar
I'm looking for a new guitar.

I'm a teacher and I want to be able to teach with the guitar, to either acoustic students or electric. The Suhr Modern Satin is pretty much bang-on as far as specs. But it's going to be hard to find one second-hand at the price I want to spend (£1200-1500). The Vigier Excalibur also has very similar specs and there are two I'm interested in, one in the Classifieds section—an Ultra Blues—and one on eBay that recently didn't sell. I'd say he'd take £1000, but I'd have to fly over from Ireland and pick it up myself.

Essential features:

-25" or longer scale
-Fast neck
-Single coils & humbuckers
-Comfortable while seated
-Loud acoustically
-Versatile
-Lightweight

Favoured specs:

-24 frets (but MIGHT settle for 22)
-10-14" compound radius (or anything between 10" and 16")
-locking floating bridge (but would consider a hard tail)
-Stainless Steel frets (but may accept standard Nickel Silver)
-Fretboard markers (not absolutely essential)
-Locking tuners (same as above)

The Custom 24 is also one I've always been keen on, but even second-hand it's still out of my budget. The S2 Custom 24 doesn't interest me aesthetically, but I'd give one a chance if I were able to try it out beforehand. A Tom Anderson would be fantastic, but the Angel is the only model they offer with 24 frets and it's way out of my budget. A Mayones Setius GTM-6 would be cool as well, but it doesn't have fret markers or SS frets. There is also a Jaden Rose Tachyon 6 in the Classifieds for £900. No tremolo, but I could live without that. And there is a Suhr Pro Series 3 for £1250. Gorgeous finish on that one, but only 22 frets.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You've got too many options!Play 'em all. Choose your favourite . Specs on the higher end guitars seem to mean less and less, as they all play so well . I went shopping for suhrs , and couldn't the difference between a 16" radius and a 10" to 14" on them . They were all great. Let alone the whammy issue. Also, if you're teacher , make sure to get a receipt as you can claim it as expenses .
  • AngryGoldfishAngryGoldfish Frets: 19
    edited September 2014
    guitarmangler said:
    You've got too many options!Play 'em all. Choose your favourite . Specs on the higher end guitars seem to mean less and less, as they all play so well . I went shopping for suhrs , and couldn't the difference between a 16" radius and a 10" to 14" on them . They were all great. Let alone the whammy issue. Also, if you're teacher , make sure to get a receipt as you can claim it as expenses .
    Gotta catch 'em all!

In all seriousness, I can't play them all. It would cost me a fortune to fly over to England and travel around the country trying out different guitars. I'm sure I'd find one I love that's within my budget, probably something that doesn't posses any of the features I've listed, but I can't do that. That's why I'm trying to decide now and ship it over—and then hope for the best.

And although I do agree with you—specs on an expensive guitar don't always matter—that is in itself a problem. It's like all these awesome guitars are tempting me, but I know it's a compromise. There are thousands of amazing instruments out there, all of them worth owning, but when I can only afford one serious guitar, I hope to make sure it is everything I need it to be. That said, I would be happy to forgo certain features if everything else was right. Finding that 'right one' is the hard part.

• Have a look at Jaden's stuff - pretty much satisfies all your criteria, except perhaps the fretboard radius (his are mostly 18", I believe).
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I did play a Vigier at World Guitars a couple of years ago, I think it was an Excalibur. The neck on it was just incredible, effortless to play.

• I think Vigiers look odd, but they're my favourite of the 'modern' guitars I've played. Terrible resale if bought new, which is nice too :)
  • I checked "Suhr Modern" on eBay just 30 minutes ago and did not see that Satin Cherry model, so thank you. Although I wanted the Natural version, that's the guitar I'm looking for. It's a lot cheaper than I thought it would be. Sadly, no shipping outside of the UK.

As a side note, that's something I really don't understand. Why not offer shipping to Northern Ireland and I could drive up to collect it at a friend's place in the North, or I could send it to one of those courier companies that holds your item and then sends it to a designated address that you collect from? I don't understand it. So many great deals I've missed out on.

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    edited September 2014
    I know it's a lot of money to travel all over England/Scotland/Wales, but there are a few shops which have a lot of what you're looking at, so maybe one trip might be worthwhile? (I realise this is "Do as I say, not as I do!" since any stuff I've tried when I was in England or Scotland I just happened to be there anyway, I've never made a one-errand trip to try stuff :)) ). One of the bigger Guitar Guitars or somewhere like that might be worth a trip, for example.

• Dave_Mc said:
    I know it's a lot of money to travel all over England/Scotland/Wales, but there are a few shops which have a lot of what you're looking at, so maybe one trip might be worthwhile? (I realise this is "Do as I say, not as I do!" since any stuff I've tried when I was in England or Scotland I just happened to be there anyway, I've never made a one-errand trip to try stuff :)) ). One of the bigger Guitar Guitars or somewhere like that might be worth a trip, for example.
    GuitarGuitar and World Guitars offer what I'm looking for, but there is no guarantee that the Birmingham one (the most local to where I grew up and where my family lives) will even have what I'm looking for. I might still have to travel to find the right one.

I've travelled to try out gear before. I bought my Fryette Memphis from Rich at Stormshadow while I was visiting friends in Yorkshire, and I visited the Matamp factory while I was up there. I've also travelled down South to Manson's in Exeter and World Guitars. And I've been to Birmingham a bunch of times to a couple of guitar shops, maybe one of which was GuitarGuitar. My next trip was either going to be to Coda-Music, Andertons and Vintage and Modern Guitars (all around Luton) or GuitarGuitar again.

This one looks pretty good. Not a fan of the fret markers, but it looks good value considering its US-made.

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=12030712285649

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    I just got a Jaden and it is amazingly fast and versitle. At that price it's a bargain. Amazing build quality, acoustically loud and very versatile.
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    I'm gonna go ahead and ask why not a used RG550? I'm sure you've considered it just curious :-)
  • I've got to admit, the RG and Jem ranges fit the bill and was wondering if they'd already been discounted
  • I don't want a Floyd Rose. There was a local RGA121 Prestige that caught my eye since it had a fixed bridge, but I was never a fan of the Ibanez necks and always felt like I wanted more with them. The Ibanez guitars I've tried were good, but not great.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22804
    For £1,200 to £1,500 I'd have thought you'd have a pretty wide range to choose from, especially if you don't mind buying used.

What about a Music Man Silhouette?  Lots of options, and the only one of your specs not covered (I think) is the stainless frets.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AngryGoldfishAngryGoldfish Frets: 19
    edited September 2014
    I've never jived with Music Man guitars. The Silhouette has great features and it's priced right, but I just can't get along with the way it looks. The JP signature was also a recommended model, but I don't like the way it looks either.

edit:

This one looks pretty good. Not a fan of the fret markers, but it looks good value considering its US-made.

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=12030712285649
    Yeah I like that one too - I thought the inlays look best on those with a white finish and out of place on the others. Here's a tone clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1xAudV69-s&list=UUQ5HkYZACP7aND5U4W-yT2g

The quality is flawless, speaking from experience; I have one of the 'Glendoras', but the 'Arete 5 Star' is Grover's flagship range and on sale in this case (I don't work for GuitarGuitar btw lol, I imported mine from the US).
    I'm not normally a fan of Super Strat style guitars, but this looks really cool:

Dave_Mc said:
    GuitarGuitar and World Guitars offer what I'm looking for, but there is no guarantee that the Birmingham one (the most local to where I grew up and where my family lives) will even have what I'm looking for. I might still have to travel to find the right one.

I've travelled to try out gear before. I bought my Fryette Memphis from Rich at Stormshadow while I was visiting friends in Yorkshire, and I visited the Matamp factory while I was up there. I've also travelled down South to Manson's in Exeter and World Guitars. And I've been to Birmingham a bunch of times to a couple of guitar shops, maybe one of which was GuitarGuitar. My next trip was either going to be to Coda-Music, Andertons and Vintage and Modern Guitars (all around Luton) or GuitarGuitar again.
    Yeah there's definitely an element of luck etc. involved. I meant just to get like a cheap easyjet flight, and maybe stay overnight in a travelodge or something like that. Closest to whichever of those big shops has the most of what you're considering. And then cross your fingers that someone doesn't buy it in the meantime. :))
  • I'd love to do it again. And I don't have to buy what I try right then and there. If think a particular guitar is really great, I could either bite the bullet and buy it then and there, or I could go home and put up a WTB add and see if the same guitar crops up.

It's an expensive trip in the end. It can cost £300 and beyond when you're travelling using public transport. It's so easy for your budget for your new guitar to be miniaturized because you went over to try the fuckers out.  :)) When I could afford a Suhr before, now I can only afford a Schecter.

• I know I keep harping on about them, but GJ2 really are fantastic value for money if you're near a GuitarGuitar:

Nice, and comes with a hard case unlike the Suhr Pro S4 series.. but it;s in bloody Epsom! Trying to find a demo on youtube, unsuccessfully. 
    edited September 2014
    Ah yeah that's a good point. public transport in england is crazy dear

i know the edinburgh guitar guitar is on the same road the airport's on, though (corstorphine road IIRC, one of the main roads into central edinburgh... assuming it hasn't moved since I haven't been for several years). I can't remember for sure but I'm guessing it's only a few miles away. And I think it's on a main bus route.

But yeah I mean as I said, it's not like I've ever done this either (as a one errand thing), I always figured it probably wasn't worth it and was a bit of a faff too. And as you rightly said, there's not much point in trying everything you can if that means you then can't afford the guitar in the end!
  • Dave_Mc said:
    Ah yeah that's a good point. public transport in england is crazy dear

i know the edinburgh guitar guitar is on the same road the airport's on, though (corstorphine road IIRC, one of the main roads into central edinburgh... assuming it hasn't moved since I haven't been for several years). I can't remember for sure but I'm guessing it's only a few miles away. And I think it's on a main bus route.

But yeah I mean as I said, it's not like I've ever done this either (as a one errand thing), I always figured it probably wasn't worth it and was a bit of a faff too. And as you rightly said, there's not much point in trying everything you can if that means you then can't afford the guitar in the end!
    Well, it has worked before. I've learned far more whilst actually playing the instruments than Googling the shit out of them, but at the same time, if I spend £300 on a trip, that's £300 less off my guitar budget. What I usually do is try to cram as much stuff in, like visiting Grandparents, going to gigs with long-time friends, meeting online friends. etc. That way at least I'm able to justify it and set aside the additional money, as well as the money for the guitar. Actually finding the money is hard enough, but justifying spending so much is just as challenging. :p