End of Genz Benz?

fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24273
Rumours all over the joint that Fender are closing the Genz Benz brand.

Very silly if true. Fender don't make any good bass amps anymore and the GB Streamliner 600 and 900 are true classics.

Bass Direct were expecting a delivery of 50, and got 1.

If you want one, or the equally awesome Shuttle. 9.2 then find one now.

(I have both but I might look for a bargain anyway!)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5205
    I thought Fender only distributed Genz Benz, not actually owned them. I could believe they might stop distributing them if they're planning to develop a lightweight bass amp themselves.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I remember the bargain guitar amps last year and wish I had the spare cash to justify one then - I just had a quick look and can't see them for sale anywhere so I'm guessing they dropped the line and the bass gear will go the same way.    A shame they looked to be good quality and a bit different to the norm.

• mart said:
    I thought Fender only distributed Genz Benz, not actually owned them. I could believe they might stop distributing them if they're planning to develop a lightweight bass amp themselves.

FMIC own them (and technically FMIC own Fender Guitars too - parent company)

Fender don't do good bass amps. Even the Bassman was a guitar amp.
  • Bass Direct have confirmed it. SWR and Hamer basses getting shut too.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    edited September 2013
    Ever heard the original Rumble?

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/jackb911/DSCN0192.jpg

It's a very serious and good-sounding bass amp, although it's SVT-level heavy and expensive, and can be unreliable. Looking at the new range it's the direct ancestor of the Super Bassman 300.

The original Bassman heads - at least from the Blackface AA864 onwards - were good in their day and are still nice now if you don't need a lot of power, too.

Still, this decision doesn't make sense to me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Never seen that one before! I might buy some more Genz kit while I still can.
  • martmart Frets: 5205

mart said:

FMIC own them (and technically FMIC own Fender Guitars too - parent company)

Hmm, ok, I hadn't realised that. I suppose, though, it means that Fender do do good bass amps! ;) Although, admittedly, I can see the Genz amps being a bit marmite - too hi-fi for some. It seems strange to shut Genz down, since they seemed to have a clear niche for themselves in the market. But maybe you could say the same about Hamer. :-S
  • The Shuttle series are hi fi, but the Streamliner series have a great tube preamp and sound much more old school.

I have one of each, but I prefer the Streamliner as a solo amp (I usually run a wet & dry set up).

I think I'm going to try and get another Streamliner while I can.
  • MosfedMosfed Frets: 25
    That is a real pity.  I love my Shuttle 6.2 with the their 12" cab and an Ampeg Portaflex 15" cab.

Sounds lovely and super portable.

Fender makes great amps at the higher level.  The Super Bassman head is a monster.  Although admittedly I do prefer Ampeg's 300 watts of tube power.