If you use an MFX modeller for gigging , which one and why?

VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4726
edited September 2014 in FX

Although I've a 'traditional' (albeit fairly basic) pedal-board too, I often use a Vox Tonelab LE.  It's not state of the art compared to the latest units out there, but it's a reasonable size, still sounds darned good, warm, and is easy to use at a gig with easy changes between patch and stomp-box mode, good easy access/readable tuner, and real knobs for tweaks on the fly.  It has its limitations (eg the Wah isn't global, modelling isn't state of the art), but it has a pretty good selection of effects (with wide parameter tweakability) cab sims, amp models, pedal effects, MIDI connectivity and an FX insert.  And unlike the newer Tonelabs it has patch-naming (IMHO essential for gigging - don't know 'bout you guys but I cant remember 128 patches from just a number) and every patch is fully programmable (I hate units that give you loads of factory pre-sets that you can't permanently change!). 

I certainly like the sounds/modelling quality of some newer units but so far I've not found anything else with the right balance of decent tone and gig-ability.  The Zoom G5 sounds very nice and was giving me gas, but for me its the clumsy/slow switching between patch/stomp mode that lets it down. I have tried a Line 6 Pod HD500 but I found it very complicated to use (old fogey alert! lol) and it just seemed a bit noisy to me. 

I just wondered which are the MFX modellers of choice that some of you might use for gigging (as opposed to studio/recording use) and what are the features that are most important to you?  

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The tone lab is one of the better sounding ones imo, I quite like it.

My friend uses a line 6 m13 and it makes him more money than I've made with my pedals.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7821
    I've used a Tonelab ST for electric and acoustic and been happy with the result.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister