Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best Tube Screamer type pedal?

What's Hot

Comments

• paulkpaulk Frets: 318
    I know that most overdrives are based on a Tube Screamer but what would you say is the best tube screamer type pedal you have ever used/owned?
    That would be, erm, a Tube Screamer :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The sd1 isn't a tubescreamer derivative is it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2358
    yeah
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    The sd1 isn't a tubescreamer derivative is it
    Depends... actually the TS is a Boss *OD-1* derivative - that's the ancestor of all feedback-loop-diode-clipping pedals - but I don't know if the SD-1 was Boss re-copying the TS (which came before the SD-1), or whether they evolved it directly from the OD-1. My guess is that they did re-copy it, since the tone circuit is very similar on both pedals, but on the other hand it's a fairly generic circuit and they may have just copied the *idea*, while using their own original pedal as the starting point.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2013
    ^ Yeah obviously that's the more "complete" answer :)) Have a wisdom :)

I think it'd probably be fair to say, though, that regardless of who copied whom, they're well within the same ballpark. Very similar style of pedals, regardless of which is derived from which.

That's not to say they sound identical, of course, they do both sound a bit different (TS is smoother, SD1 is grittier/fizzier/edgier and has a larger gain range too I think). But they both do (roughly) the same thing- midhump (of varying degrees), bass cut, compression, work well as a boost to an overdriven amp etc.

:)
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Being thick and naive, I assumed they were totally different creatures. I have to say (probably a heresy) that I don't particularly care for the Tube Screamer. I have an 80s one (as well as a BBE Green Screemer!) but they don't 'do it' for me in the way the SD1 does. 
    Once again, another titbit of guitar related trivia. :)
    edited September 2013
    Oh yeah I mean they do sound (at least a bit) different, and you could well prefer one or the other. I mean a judicious change of component value here or there in a strategic place can change the tone quite a bit.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28198
    TimmyO said:
    I love the Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive. Sounds great (like a TS) handy dual EQ and more solid than a very solid thing. Plus a huge 'button' for the clumsy footed
    I had one and it was indeed very good stuff.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    dogload said:
    Being thick and naive, I assumed they were totally different creatures. I have to say (probably a heresy) that I don't particularly care for the Tube Screamer. I have an 80s one (as well as a BBE Green Screemer!) but they don't 'do it' for me in the way the SD1 does.
    They're certainly far from identical, there are a lot of component value and some small circuit differences - these add up to quite a different sound. The overall layout topology and a large part of the circuit is identical though, to the point where you can actually modify a SD-1 circuit board into a TS without too much effort - or probably vice versa, but I doubt anyone would because a TS is a lot more valuable than an SD-1!

I also do prefer the SD-1, although they often have an irritating problem of leaking overdrive into the bypass signal if they're not preceded by another buffered pedal.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    Loads of pedals are slightly modified TS circuits, but they can still sound quite different. 

The three versions of the RAT only differ by one component, but they all sound very different. 
    Loads of pedals are slightly modified TS circuits, but they can still sound quite different. 

The three versions of the RAT only differ by one component, but they all sound very different. 
    It's a *little* more than one component, and there are actually four versions! (five including the 'Vintage Rat' reissue) but you're basically right...

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    Ah well I was nearly right. 

The new Crunchbox has selectable diodes and that makes quite a big difference. 
  • Xotic AC Boost and BB Preamp are both very good - the AC is lower gain and a bit warmer sounding, the BB is higher gain and has a bit more bite. BB Preamp MB has an extra control for the (upper) mid and is more aggressively voiced again.

Second hand they tend to go around the £110 mark - not the cheapest option but you should make your money back if you decide to move it on. 

ICBM said:
    They're certainly far from identical, there are a lot of component value and some small circuit differences - these add up to quite a different sound. The overall layout topology and a large part of the circuit is identical though, to the point where you can actually modify a SD-1 circuit board into a TS without too much effort - or probably vice versa, but I doubt anyone would because a TS is a lot more valuable than an SD-1!
    Yeah that's what I meant (the circuit topology thing).

I'm not sure which I prefer. I might actually prefer the TS. But I do like the SD1 (or at least, my cheapo daphon version) too.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    Xotic AC Boost and BB Preamp are both very good - the AC is lower gain and a bit warmer sounding, the BB is higher gain and has a bit more bite. BB Preamp MB has an extra control for the (upper) mid and is more aggressively voiced again.

Second hand they tend to go around the £110 mark - not the cheapest option but you should make your money back if you decide to move it on. 

These are both excellent pedals.  I one an AC Booster, but I wouldn't say that they are like Tubescreamers.  If you want an overdrive they are both worth looking at though.
  • Yep! I am sorted now thanks.

I revisited a forgotten pedal I once owned and regretted getting rid of but I manage to pick up cheap. A voodoo lab sparkle drive.
  • Yep! I am sorted now thanks.

I revisited a forgotten pedal I once owned and regretted getting rid of but I manage to pick up cheap. A voodoo lab sparkle drive.
    Good stuff. I was actually just about to recommend a Sparkle Drive. 
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    Klon Centaur. Good luck in finding one though.
    Brize said:
    Klon Centaur. 
    Not a TS-type.

voodoo lab sparkle drive.
    I'd almost managed to blank that one out... each to their own :).

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    Different circuitry but similar application, no?