How not to relic a guitar ...

What's Hot
4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
in Guitar tFB Trader
OK, OK, I know this is probably a well covered subject which always seems to divide opinion, but, I came across this lovely bit of tasteful relic work on Facebook. 

Now I'm all for a decent relic job - if someone has studied a real aged guitar and copied the wear patterns, aged the finish and hardware etc. But this, to me at least, looks like someone has thrown the guitar into a hole full of pitbulls. Not to mention the bright-white shiny new scratchplate. Best thing is he's trying to sell it as a relic'd guitar ...

imageimage
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    edited October 2014
    I saw that on Fleabay, and had a chuckle to myself, I dont get how people see this as relicing, if he put new hardware on it it would look good as a bit of art but a Relic....no not a chance!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    I like the screwdriver stabbings all around the ashtray.  :D
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Looks like it's been chewed by a large mouse.....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Looks like it's been chewed by a large mouse.....
    or he's played it through a Rat pedal ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    So it was a veneered guitar... that's not someone trying to pass something off as genuine then..

I do like the discolouring of the wood, that looks okay - but it might be a wash.

Not liking the wear on the fretboard...

Do like the paint effect and crazing...

Like the rusting on the bridge screws...

Weird stabbing around bridge... what's that meant to be?

Pretty good wear on the hardware, a start at least.

It's an odd mixture of nice touches and schoolboy enthusiasm.

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • frankus;372488" said:
    So it was a veneered guitar... that's not someone trying to pass something off as genuine then..

I do like the discolouring of the wood, that looks okay - but it might be a wash.

Not liking the wear on the fretboard...

Do like the paint effect and crazing...

Like the rusting on the bridge screws...

Weird stabbing around bridge... what's that meant to be?

Pretty good wear on the hardware, a start at least.

It's an odd mixture of nice touches and schoolboy enthusiasm.
    I feel like, with the right hardware and neck, the body will look pretty great as a silly prop guitar (though the stabs around the bridge are hilarious).
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Yeah, I thought the hardware was the best bit TBH. I assume the marking around the bridge are where an ashtray cover is supposed to have been fitted. Although with the depth of the wear, it looks like somebody was resting a one-tonne weight on top of the ashtray ...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30912
    I had the same tech as this guy for a bit but I fired him as his St Vitus Dance worsened.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

It's the holes around the ashtray that really spoil it.

Up until then it was a good effort, not brilliant, but at least it has never on fire, which seems to be the current trend.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited October 2014
    ...maybe he just had a bad case of death watch beetle... who owned a Black and Decker...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

There are much worse relics out there, the ones done with a belt sander! They don't work on any level.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    Surprisingly, I don't mind it as much as usual exactly because it is so unrealistic it's definitely more art. It almost looks like the wear has been painted on to a body which is actually still flat - in fact, if someone could do that and make it look 3D, it *would* be art.

In that context I don't think the shiny white pickguard looks too wrong either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    ICBM said:
    Surprisingly, I don't mind it as much as usual exactly because it is so unrealistic it's definitely more art. It almost looks like the wear has been painted on to a body which is actually still flat - in fact, if someone could do that and make it look 3D, it *would* be art.

In that context I don't think the shiny white pickguard looks too wrong either.
    Now you've said about it looking like 3D art on a flat body, I can't see it any other way
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    That's not a relic at all, it's just Fender's new custom shop Emmental finish Telecaster.

Inspired by this work of 'genius' ..

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
    Looks like a family of small beavers have been snacking on it. Then they all wee'd on it.
  • equalsql said:
    That's not a relic at all, it's just Fender's new custom shop Emmental finish Telecaster.

Inspired by this work of 'genius' ..

I er...

Quite like that.  Perfect for cheesey 80s rock.

You'd need to make sure you kept the music suitable though - it would need to be fun, nothing too serious or mature.  

It would be great at praise and worship, being quite a holey guitar.  

Cheese joke.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    That cheese one is amusing but the trem is total fail!
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    edited October 2014
    Re. The first example - is Phillips trying to break into the relic market or something? I've rarely seen anything that offends me so much that hasn't originated in his 'workshop'.

Each to their own I guess - but you'd need to watch out for splinters on that thing... :D
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9611
    Classic example of how a thick poly finish will never wear in reality. Must have taken some physical effort.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10376
    edited October 2014 tFB Trader
    I actually like that look ... it's no more a relic than the above ... but simply a OTT and rather 'cartoonish' finish option.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom