Costa Concordia salvage operation

What's Hot
ICBMICBM Frets: 72337
edited September 2013 in Off Topic
I've had this on in the background all day...

It's fascinating and surprisingly relaxing at the same time - mostly just gentle sounds of the waves and occasional voices in the background.

Quite a contrast to the chaos and panic when it went down - and a lot slower - I do feel a little guilty saying "relaxing" given that 32 people died, and two of the bodies might still be under it. I bet the engineers aren't all that relaxed either...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I've seen some pics, and it's an impressively massive operation.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    Too slow to eat popcorn to.  There's a time-lapse version on the BBC news site that's a bit more exciting.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72337
    Emp_Fab said:
    Too slow to eat popcorn to.  There's a time-lapse version on the BBC news site that's a bit more exciting.
    It's so fast that when they get beyond the 45º point and it starts to speed up, my first thought was "careful, don't let it get out of control" :).

Amazing that it's clearly been resting on the rocks in only two places.

I still think they were very, very lucky - the captain may have tried to get it inshore as he claims, but I don't think he could possibly have predicted exactly where it would come to rest, and if you look at the depth charts that little headland is the only place where the water is shallow enough. If it had gone down even 50 feet further offshore it would have gone under completely before they could have got most of the passengers off - it took 45 minutes to capsize and five hours to evacuate.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    edited September 2013
    This is precisely the catalyst Emp needs.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Here's a timelapse video. Looked very easy, I can't see what all that fuss was for:
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    He did put in a quote to recover it based on experience with the speedboat, but some travelling folk undercut even his bid.

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    I find it very exciting because I only came across the concept of cassions a month or two ago.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    ESBlonde said:
    He did put in a quote to recover it based on experience with the speedboat, but some travelling folk undercut even his bid.

There were health and safety concerns with Emps bid though... something about trying to drag the passenger liner off the rocks using a wooden board, a length of strong rope and a winch
  • Does anyone know if they are planning to use the same technology on the wreck of the Music Radar forum?

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    James Cameron is planning a 7 hour epic journey to MusicRadar.com/forum in a mini-sub made entirely out of smugness and pies
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited September 2013
    Myranda said:
    James Cameron is planning a 7 hour epic journey to MusicRadar.com/forum in a mini-sub made entirely out of smugness and pies
    I'll wait for the edited version.  The toughest part of any Cameron film must be pulling a 30 second trailer whilst still hinting at the story.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    It reminds you that there haven't half been some clever buggers. 
    It reminds you that there haven't half been some clever buggers. 
    It's a pity none of them were on the bridge on the night of January 13th 2012.

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    that's a bit unfair. It's all very well being wise in hindsight, but how was the captain to know that taking a ship into waters that were too shallow for it was a dangerous thing to do?

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Does anyone know if they are planning to use the same technology on the wreck of the Music Radar forum?

They're going to raise the Titanic first. At least it's documented that there are  musicians on board.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2013

Does anyone know if they are planning to use the same technology on the wreck of the Music Radar forum?

They're going to raise the Titanic first. At least it's documented that there are  musicians on board.

lol

I think this wins the new forum so far :D.

Nicely done young sir, have a LOL.

The time lapse is quite good though.

Very LOL worthy have one on me.