Humbucker advice

Evening chaps. I'm in the middle of a Les Paul project (see the post in making and modding. Refinished les paul)

I have a 91 studio with an ebony board with relatively hot pickups so I don't want anything too similar.

This 97 studio also has an ebony board but I fancy something PAF ish. I already have a bareknuckle muke but I'm not sure what to put in the other other position. Not even sure whether to put the mule in the neck or bridge.

Any advice would be great
Thanks in advance

Bo
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    How much gain and compression do you use? Mules are very nice pickups, in both bridge and neck position. For more output Black Dogs and the many other handwould PAF alikes are all good. But you really need to have an idea as to how you want the guitar to sound.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    I think I read that Tim from BK uses a mule neck with riff raff bridge in his LPs.
  • I don't use a great deal of gain and other than the natural compression in the amp (which is a nice amount not too much) I don't use compressor pedals. I play a lot of blues rock and classic rock. Nothing to heavy
  • The Abraxas will work nicely with your mule. It's a hotter version of the mule. Great for classic rock and blues. Mr oil city pickups of this very forum makes a very similar spec pickup to the Abraxas for a lot less money! ;)
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • ab2014ab2014 Frets: 89
    Duncan 59 cheap enough to try and resell if you don't like
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    A set of Pearly gates would probaly suit you down to the ground.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    JB bridge if you switch to Seymour Duncans.
    I'd have said a JB was a bit hot if he wanted something PAF-ish.
  • I have Mules in my PRS - both Neck and bridge.  Works absolutely fine for lower gain classic rock/blues.  I can even get some decent Metal sounds out of them with higher gain amp settings. 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    What is the DC reading of the Mule? 
    Is it a bridge or neck model?

My own LP type guitar has a mule inthe neck and on of the new ASL Tour 84's in the bridge .

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• The mule is a bridge model. 8.4k or something like that. Ash has wound me a pickup in the past and I'm currently in talks with him about winding me a neck humbucker for my other les paul. Ash's stuff is great and I'd recommend him to anyone but I want this guitar to have a different flavour to my other les Paul as they are very similar specs
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    Mule + Crawler is nice too.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"