Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

the band arsehole...

What's Hot
EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
... does everybody have one ? As you look around the rehearsal room is there one person you think this would be so much better musically/ sonically/ odour wise if you were replaced.

Is it just a social group function somebody has to fill? A fact of band life. You will never be rid of the band arsehole because there is always one relative to everyone else.

And to someone else in the room are you their arsehole?
Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17606
    tFB Trader
    Not currently in my new band thankfully, but in the last one very much yes.
  • Our last drummer initiated a massive row and flounced. He told everyone that our remaining gigs would be cancelled. What a surprise he got when we posted videos of the next gig with our dep (and now permanent) drummer.

He was the one we always thought didn't fit.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Our last drummer initiated a massive row and flounced. He told everyone that our remaining gigs would be cancelled. What a surprise he got when we posted videos of the next gig with our dep (and now permanent) drummer.

He was the one we always thought didn't fit.

I'm depping, as it were, in my old band this week and had forgotten what an arsehole the. {|<%^^#^ist is and he was the main reason I left. Anyway, in my current band the guitarist I replaced left and then called up the venues for the handful of gigs that were booked saying the band had split and cancelled them. We recovered the gigs and he then posted a bad review on the first pub's Facebook ( despite not being in the building at all and the pub instantly rebooking us the moment we finished). A proper arsehole there.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • That's a proper wanker's trick. I'm not a violent man but a good kicking wouldn't go amiss if someone pulled something like that on us.
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    I've had them in the past but my current band is great, no musical clashes, no dicks, just 4 guys having fun.. it's a pleasant change.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30912
    The last band I was in was 'led' by our drummer, Mick. He was a brilliant drummer, but sadly absolutely worshipped Don Henley. This meant that to close our set, he'd do a tearful rendition of Desperado to his wife (back of house) to a backing track. Sadly his sense of rhythm wasn't matched by his sense of melody and quite frankly it sounded like 3 alley cats doing a Bhangra cover of the Eagles. I used to go and have a cringegful ciggie and leave him to it.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Had one - the previous rhythm guitarist. Almost always late, sometimes slept through rehearsals, never answered his phone/texts/Facebook/emails, gave us constant bullshit and never delivered on his commitments (including recording his parts for the album, then pretended not to know about the deadline when each of us had mentioned it to him in the previous weeks).

Got rid of him, got a new guy who's keen as anything and actually good at playing.

As a result, I now believe the band arsehole is me.
    <space for hire>
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6489
    edited October 2014
    Fortunately, the arsehole of my previous band was such a monumental arsehole that he appears to have used up my "arsehole in the band" quota completely and in my current band I can honestly say all of us have the right attitude and approach...MOST of the time, anyway. :)

Of course, part and parcel of being in a band (when you are a non-confrontational passive aggressive such as I) is moaning about the others every so often, but really they're a good bunch of lads who I'd genuinely trust to have my back in a bad situation.

I wouldn't swap record collections with some of them, mind...

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

@digitalscream having met you, and through here, I don't think you're an arsehole at all.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    We lost ours about six months ago....

I'm not going to recap,the whole story because it largely just recapitulates the same stories other people have already told.

Last straw was when we did a gig which paid a little more than usual and voted 4 to 1 to put the extra into the "band kitty" to go towards some kit we wanted to buy to improve the show. She was the one, declared the result "unfair" and said she was going to walk. We let her...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    In my band it is me.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    I don't think we have one - so it must be me. I have problems with our old bassist's behaviour but I wouldn't call him an arsehole. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

It's me.

Hang on, I'm not in a band.

Shit.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_l said:

@digitalscream having met you, and through here, I don't think you're an arsehole at all.

You should probably ask my band before you make a determination on that ;)
    <space for hire>
    No your singist is scary.

• You should see her after the next photo shoot. I'm going to be blasting her in the face with flour from a leaf blower.
    <space for hire>
    I don't know if thats kinky or not.

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    You should see her after the next photo shoot. I'm going to be blasting her in the face...

If it's alright by you, I stopped reading at that point.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IanSavage said:

If it's alright by you, I stopped reading at that point.
    Fine, fine. Just don't tell the wife.
    <space for hire>
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921

Think I'm in 2nd place for band arsehole, but in general everyone's pretty decent. There's always niggles, but I think that's part and parcel.