What do you do (pedal wise) that is probably different to the norm?

What's Hot
DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4530
I like to have my delay (DD7) very early on in the chain for it's looper function and it also self oscillates nicely and i like messing about with that sound.

I also like my reverbs in the middle so i can mess with those too (reverb then univibe is cool or reverb then slicer is also cool etc)

Are your pedals in the 'standard' order or is there something i should know about?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471

i have all my dirt at the end of the chain...but after last nights rehearsal session...i will put my delay at the end.

so my chain will be:

tuner > volume > comp > wah > phase > verb > fuzz > distortion > delay

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4530
    edited October 2014
    samzadgan said:

have you tried it with the fuzz and distortion before the phase?
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Connect the guitasr to the output of my phaser, then the phaser input to the amp.

Only done it once mind........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_l;381982" said:
    Connect the guitasr to the output of my phaser, then the phaser input to the amp.

Dare I ask what happens?

I use a newly fixed (yeah, found the problem - power supply solder connection) Ibanez cf-7.

Bad chorus, bad flanger. But put it in whacked and it has a cool special effect I use for a clean part of a song I'm writing.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    DesVegas said:
    samzadgan said:

have you tried it with the fuzz and distortion before the phase?

Yeah I use to run it like that for ages...but these days i hardly ever use phase with a dirty sound, its always on clean tones. actually...i dont use anything with my dirt sound, except the wah...which is why i put my dirt at the end.

the only reason i want to put delay at the end is for parts of songs where the distorted sound rings out and i go into acoustic...i like to hit delay on the last distorted note and let the delay pedal trail it out as i swich to clean and start my clean part.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4530
     But put it in whacked and it has a cool special effect I use for a clean part of a song I'm writing.
    YES!! now that's what i'm talking about
  • Connecting up a wah back to front give interesting metal-whale noises, I have found.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FazerFazer Frets: 467
    after the signal is split to stereo i run one side through the chorus at 100% wet (some stereo choruses already have the wet/dry split, others have both sides as wet/dry blended but out of phase)
    sometimes i try a delay in one stereo channel too, again at 100% wet or very light dry blended in
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30912
    A couple of setting tricks- ambience- chorus with speed on nil and depth on full. germanium muff tip (Cornish g2) tone 100% vol 75% gain nil gives a real Marshall break up

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

mike_l;381982" said:

Dare I ask what happens?

Actually, it was guitar - phaser (out) - phaser (out) - amp (in). Worked lovely until I switched the phaser on............

On the sounds of fucking silence.

2 hours later me and photek worked out what was wrong.

Defo a Homer Simpson moment (D'oh)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    mike_l;382027" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

mike_l;381982" said:

Connect the guitasr to the output of my phaser, then the phaser input to the amp.Only done it once mind........ Dare I ask what happens?

Actually, it was guitar - phaser (out) - phaser (out) - amp (in). Worked lovely until I switched the phaser on............

Instant Tom Morello pedal.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I used to connect my stereo reverb into itself, but it was too easy to create a feedback wash that quickly swamped everything.

That's it really, except I'd love a board full of delays.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    mike_l said:
    mike_l;381982" said:

Dare I ask what happens?

I did that with a Mesa V-1 pedal as well - couldn't work out what was wrong at the gig so I just gave up. It was only when I tried to reconnect the (apparently working perfectly) pedal into my rig at home and found one of the patch cables wouldn't reach that I worked out what I'd done.

…DOH!!

:D

The proper answer is…

Fuzz before wah. I like the huge sizzly filter-sweep type thing it does. (I still have the wah before distortion though.)

Phaser in the FX loop. I do like the sound of them in front of the amp too (particularly for faster settings), but if I can only use one position I prefer that airy, jet-plane slow phasing you get when it's after the distortion.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM;382178" said:
    mike_l said:

ThePrettyDamned said:

mike_l;381982" said:

Dare I ask what happens?

I did that with a Mesa V-1 pedal as well - couldn't work out what was wrong at the gig so I just gave up. It was only when I tried to reconnect the (apparently working perfectly) pedal into my rig at home and found one of the patch cables wouldn't reach that I worked out what I'd done.

…DOH!!

:D

The proper answer is…

Fuzz before wah. I like the huge sizzly filter-sweep type thing it does. (I still have the wah before distortion though.)

Phaser in the FX loop. I do like the sound of them in front of the amp too (particularly for faster settings), but if I can only use one position I prefer that airy, jet-plane slow phasing you get when it's after the distortion.
    I have my fuzzy pedal in front of wah - the only issue is at low volume, the wah sweep can make my amp very high volume!

To the op, I'll post a clip - it's a cool effect, and immediately inspired a minimalist clean idea to go right before a "drop".
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    One of my favourites is a whammy pedal into a ring mod :)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    I have my fuzzy pedal in front of wah - the only issue is at low volume, the wah sweep can make my amp very high volume!

To the op, I'll post a clip - it's a cool effect, and immediately inspired a minimalist clean idea to go right before a "drop".

that's because the wah is acting as a boost on certain frequencies.

Put a wah after a mid scooped pedal (IE completely scooped no mids) and you'll have volume at the bottom end and top end and nothing in the mid-range of the sweep.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_l;382283" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

that's because the wah is acting as a boost on certain frequencies.Put a wah after a mid scooped pedal (IE completely scooped no mids) and you'll have volume at the bottom end and top end and nothing in the mid-range of the sweep.
    Ahhh okay. It's a relatively bright fuzz sound I use, which explains it - it's all the top of the sweep that's boosted.

It's not so bad at high volume, but I guess the amp starts compressing a bit.
  • I have occasionally used drive after delays when recording to get some different sounds, would never do it live tho. 
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I use a digitech delay...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Connecting up a wah back to front give interesting metal-whale noises, I have found.

That's a good one. Gilmour used to do that- that's what makes the squeaky whale sounds on 'Echoes'.