70s Strat makeover project (now finished)

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    You can go a lot further with the contouring than that! Both in depth and radiusing - the old ones have a roughly 1/2" radius rounding that meets in the middle on the edge between the front and the back cut, and between the forearm cut and the back.

http://edenhaus.com/GIFS/STRAT.HDR.ART1.gif

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That's nice work, mate. I'd contour a bit more, maybe rasps followed by sandpaper would be the way to go? Not my area of expertise to be honest!

Not bad looking, 3 piece body? Could have been a lot worse, the 70s strat I've recently seen was dog ugly!

Keep us posted :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    edited October 2014
    @ICBM, thanks for the pic, it shows that at least I've got something approaching a 70s profile now!

That's nice work, mate. I'd contour a bit more, maybe rasps followed by sandpaper would be the way to go? Not my area of expertise to be honest!

Not bad looking, 3 piece body? Could have been a lot worse, the 70s strat I've recently seen was dog ugly!

Keep us posted :)
    not sure I want to go on contouring. I could rationalise this by saying it's a 70s Strat and shouldn't look like a vintage one, but the truth is I'm lazy and I'm fed up with dust everywhere. When I go back to scraping, it will mean more sanding and in the end Christmal will come and the guitar be still in pieces!

The body is a 3-piece. It looks ok but I'm not sure the whole operation has paid off sound-wise - it still sounds rather dull when knocking it. 

• You might be surprised when you plug in - I definitely improved the sound of my cheap epi sg when I removed the thick finish and replaced with a thin poly one.

It might not pay off at all - who's to say what I heard wasn't placebo? :) point is, it'll be a nice looking guitar, and you'll have learnt a lot on the way. That's a result!
    edited December 2014
    small update - first coat of oil. Back:

Front:

Decided to re-do the neck, sanded off 20 years worth of grime:

Hang up to dry:

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10268
    Nice work @NPP,but I must ask,

Carlsberg?

Carlsberg?

Man up FFS ;)
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    I felt duty bound to give @breakstuff a wisdom for that. I work for Carling. ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    Nice work @NPP,but I must ask,

Carlsberg?

Carlsberg?
    NPP said:

If Carlsberg made routers…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:
    I felt duty bound to give @breakstuff a wisdom for that. I work for Carling. ;)

>:D<
    edited November 2014
    Carlsberg?

in my defence, I drink Pilsner Urquell or (proper) Budweiser when I'm on the Continent, and, unlike many Continentals, I do appreciate a good British ale, but the proper stuff is bloody expensive* and for purposes of general lubrification I just get whatever the local supermarket has going cheaply. I do steer clear of Carling for some reason ...

With the smell of Danish oil in the air, it probably doesn't matter anyway what you are drinking ;)

* a .5l bottle of Pilsner would set you back about 75p in Germany

NPP said:
    Carlsberg?

in my defence, I drink Pilsner Urquell or (proper) Budweiser when I'm on the Continent, and, unlike many Continentals, I do appreciate a good British ale, but the proper stuff is bloody expensive* and for purposes of general lubrification I just get whatever the local supermarket has going cheaply. I do steer clear of Carling for some reason ...

With the smell of Danish oil in the air, it probably doesn't matter anyway what you are drinking ;)

* a .5l bottle of Pilsner would set you back about 75p in Germany
    Carling actually has flavour.  not everyone likes it, some drink nothing else. Fosters and Carlsberg are quite a bit sweeter.  

personally i prefer real ales but out of our lagers we make Carling, Coors, Cobra, Grolsch, Canadian, Cornish Pilsner -  they do at least all have their own identity. 

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    WezV said:
    personally i prefer real ales but out of our lagers we make Carling, Coors, Cobra, Grolsch, Canadian, Cornish Pilsner -  they do at least all have their own identity. 

I'm interested now.

I prefer Proper Beer too (ruby ales like Snecklifter for example) and haven't drank lager for some years.

Which of your lagers would you recommend I try? Which am I most likely to like?
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    Sharps Cornish pilsner for the discerning gentleman.

cobra is a nice one for anyone who finds lager too gassy.

Coors light is just really easy drinking.

grolsch is a bit out of favour at the moment, but i still drink a lot from swing top bottles so i can use them for homebrew. Its strong and malty for a lager
  • keithfkeithf Frets: 371
    orangeboom please.
    /\ we have a winner.
    oddly, its one I have never tried.   

anyway.  just about to go and bottle a batch of Whisky Smoked Bock I made - its not going to be for everybody :)
  • keithfkeithf Frets: 371
    Or Duvel if you're feeling risky,but beware,its painfull !!
  • NPP said:

That's no ordinary worktop protector, that's an M&S protector.... or is it an S&M protector ?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Thanks Wez :)

*shopping list*
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    Lixarto said:
    Thanks Wez :)

*shopping list*
    add on Franciscan Well's Rebel Red and Sharps Wolf Rock for a couple of nice red ales we are doing at the moment.  There is also Sharps Connoisseur Range Spiced Red  - but that will be harder to find