Nice little article on practising

What's Hot
VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15487

dunno if this has been posted, but I thought it was an interesting little read.

http://www.bulletproofmusician.com/how-many-hours-a-day-should-you-practice/

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• An interesting take on this subject. 
    For a short time I did 10 hours a day. Then I got a job. For some time I didn't play much at all. Now it's intense as I'm learning band songs in a hurry. I'm glad I put those hours in all those years ago but now think I can practice smarter. Time and variety make the better player!
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15487
    one thing I've found is that if I practise something that's a bit tricky intensely for about 20 mins then go and so something more fun/less challenging then come back to the tricky bit a few hours later/next day, it is generally there, even if it doesn't feel right before. IME grinding something for more than 20 mins is counter productive, though that may just be me.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've always found the biggest thing to be aware of is tension in any aspect of playing. Sometimes I'll stop playing and pull my hands away and if they look like they've got arthritis I know something's wrong....!! I think prolonged and varied practice is ok. Big breaks are sometimes needed. 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    VimFuego said:
    one thing I've found is that if I practise something that's a bit tricky intensely for about 20 mins then go and so something more fun/less challenging then come back to the tricky bit a few hours later/next day, it is generally there, even if it doesn't feel right before. IME grinding something for more than 20 mins is counter productive, though that may just be me.

I agree with this. I had an old music teacher who insisted I play the same piece week in, week out until I had it down (for the exam). I failed the exam slightly (literally a couple of marks) the first time, the secong time it was an absolute flunk.

I'm currently working through an MI book, which I'm doing the first 4 chapters, and have been since the beginning of last week, and I'm keeping a record of where I'm at and what's perfected and I'm struggling on 1 lick. I'm finding if I try too hard on that lick I just get worse. It seems to work perfectly/really badly on alternative nights.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)