Going to London - where are the best guitar shops and where can I park for not too much £'s?

What's Hot
As title.
Also if anybody fancies a browse round the music shops with me I'll be up there from around 1000 ish

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15669
    re parking, you're really best off parking out of London and getting a train/tube in. Most of the decent shops are pretty central, though I'm sure Londoniers will be along with some recs.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Best guitar shops are on the outskirts. Denmark st is way overpriced and many shops are at it because their customers are one offs. Chandlers, ect on the outskirts are way better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3945
    As I'm near Oxford I always park at West Ruislip railway station and catch the tube in. I think its about 7 or 8 quid for the day. There's Stanmore Park to the north too.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3072
    I park in Stanmore when I go on a trip into London. Though you'd be lucky to get a space after 9am.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15669
    yeah, Stanmore can be a pain. We used to use Radlett or B wood, even in the week we could always get a space.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12018
    the shop above the shop, angel music, is the most real, @jpfamps is there http://jpfamps.com/
    Wunjo is nicer than the other ground floor shops

Ivor Mairants have some seriously nice acoustics
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17703
    tFB Trader
    Wembley Guitar Centre might be worth a go. 

I can't remember if they have a car park, but they are right near a Tesco and an Ikea so you might be able to park there at least. 
  • ^ they don't, but there are two spaces next to the skip outside (if it's still there). Do not park on the road or you'll be ticketed within mins. I'd vote for parking on the street up near Warren Street, it's cheaper than around Denmark St, you can pay by phone and it's easy to find a space
  • Guys thank you all very much.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72758
    I just park at my house, take a bus to the station and get the train into London.

I live near Edinburgh :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17703
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    I just park at my house, take a bus to the station and get the train into London.

I live near Edinburgh :).
    That's all very well, but what about when you impulse buy a third Trem O Verb?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ivor Mairants is a good shop (New Regent Street?) - bought a nice acoustic from them a decade ago and have tried one or two other decent guitars there since then.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3339
    edited October 2014
    Ivor Mairants is on Rathbone Place near the Tottenham Court Road end of Oxford St. There was a recent thread, Guitary Places in London and that should help but if not going out west to Chandlers or Charlie Chandlers, Denmark St is your best bet.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72758
    That's all very well, but what about when you impulse buy a third Trem O Verb?
    I could get that back on public transport no problem - they're on wheels. It's no worse than a really big suitcase. I don't think I'd be going upstairs on the bus though ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • For parking, Westfield Stratford City - £8 for the whole day, £9 on Saturdays, right next to Stratford tube station.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Kebabkid;383727" said:
    Ivor Mairants is on Rathbone Place near Tottenham Court Road end of Oxford St.

There was a recent thread, Guitary Places in London and that should help but if not going out west to Chandlers or Charlie Chandlers, Denmark St is your best bet.
    Shows how long ago it was since I last went to London...
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27341
    fatherjack;383754" said:
    For parking, Westfield Stratford City - £8 for the whole day, £9 on Saturdays, right next to Stratford tube station.
    Excellent location if coming from the east. I used to live about a mile south of it. Only about 20 minutes off the M25 via the M11/A12
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • FazerFazer Frets: 467
    there's also westfield shepherds bush, don't have any experience of the parking but i presume its similar
  • Cheers for the suggestions - I ended up only having time to visit Denmark Street. Was pretty cool though.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Did you visit the place that had about seven floors full of rubbish?