Guess who! (Yeah, its MDPhillips again)

What's Hot
Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electro-acoustic-for-big-hands-by-me-and-Harley-Benton-/191343886103?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2c8cfbff17

And this time he's made a wide necked acoustic! With a distinct lack of 7 string acoustics, he had to get inventive with this one. 

'Awibble'
Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30935
    it's set up as light and fast as a telecaster.

So I'm buying it.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:
    it's set up as light and fast as a telecaster.

So I'm buying it.
    No need to move so fast. Apparently it's going to be a regular conversion by him! ;) 

Harley Benton. Tsk tsk. He's really cutting corners, going for mass production here. Eep! Do you think all of them will have the holes in the headstock plugged as well? 

I'm just glad it's only a Harley Benton. If he got his hands on a Martin... *shudders* 

Actually I'm kind of curious to know if the man can actually play! I would love to hear him play! 

The description is killer. Play it like an electric? Nooooooo. :( 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27156
    At least his nuts are getting better.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16746
    the nut is neater, and the holes are plugged.   these are signs of growth!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3921
    Gah, and I was after an acoustic that plays like a Stratocaster. The quest continues.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16746
    edited October 2014
    he does need to brush up on Pythagoras a bit

he greater space between strings makes it easier to hold down the string you want and not be lying across or touching the adjacent string as well, though the stretch between one fret and the next is no more than a standard guitar. 

This would only be true if playing on a single string, in all other situations the stretch is slightly furtehr due to the extra width
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    "The electro aspect of the guitar means you can play lead solos and phrases like an electric solid guitar... but with the joy of Hendrix style feedback"
    I don't think in have ever heard Hendrix style feedback from a piezo let alone and acoustic. It's certainly something that I wouldn't class as a feature!
    Least he has had a haircut☺
  • Ive just looked on Thoman's site and a 12 string HB can be bought for about £85.  I could take 6 strings off myself.  

Difficult to see the justification for a price of £159.  That some mark up.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30935
    WezV;385623" said:
    he does need to brush up on Pythagoras a bit

he greater space between strings makes it easier to hold down the string you want and not be lying across or touching the adjacent string as well, though the stretch between one fret and the next is no more than a standard guitar. 

This would only be true if playing on a single string, in all other situations the stretch is slightly furtehr due to the extra width

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• stickyfiddle;385602" said:
    At least his nuts are getting better.
    Better than my recent nut.

Not joking, sadly.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31637
    Ive just looked on Thoman's site and a 12 string HB can be bought for about £85.  I could take 6 strings off myself.  

You'd still need a new nut and bridge saddle with a spacing which could take advantage of the neck width.

This obsession with this guy (a member here in fact) is a bit too pitchfork-y for me. I love the inclusive piss taking on the Fretboard, but the playground bullying not so much.

FWIW there are plenty of others builders on here churning out stuff I don't like. Admittedly the quality is usually higher, but some are also twenty times the price.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Ive just looked on Thoman's site and a 12 string HB can be bought for about £85.  I could take 6 strings off myself.  

It is indeed some mark up, although I can see how his business model would require it. He has to find a suitably cheap starting guitar (or parts to put together), then spend time doing things to it that will produce something not available in the shops e.g. guitars for the "sausage fingered", and then sell on at a high enough price to justify his time and advertising costs. I would have thought as a business proposition it was a non-starter (certainly given his skill level) - the amazing thing is it seems to work for him.
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    @p90fool Yeah, he is a member. However we have tried to help him out in the past by offering some collective forum wisdom, and he got quite defensive as I recall. He doesn't help himself! 
    'Awibble'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • As far as his conversions go I'd say that one is the most neat looking.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I really don't think this place needs another one of these threads.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    edited October 2014
    Hertz32 said:
    @p90fool Yeah, he is a member. However we have tried to help him out in the past by offering some collective forum wisdom, and he got quite defensive as I recall. He doesn't help himself! 
    I recall it somewhat differently - he was invited here, and then given unsolicited advice and mockery in not too equal doses and as I recall I came out of the thread thinking better of him than I did several long term guys who's behaviour was surprising and disappointing, to me at least.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Although Frank, he did refuse to take onboard the advice he was freely given by several respectable luthiers and repair techs.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    In fairness, The wide necked guitar criminal thread is about 17 pages long. Thinking about it now, @Gagaryn is probably right. I'm not sure we need to do this again either. 
    I'm all for letting this thread sink if noone else objects.
    'Awibble'
  • Don't give publicity to terrorists!
    Old Is Gold
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    Hardly inventive. People have been playing 12-strings as 6-strings since at least the 1960s.

I'd agree that this is the neatest-looking job he's done so far, but really all he's done is take off half the tuners and fit a new nut, so there's not a huge amount to mess up. You don't need to change the bridge saddle. The covers for the spare tuner holes at least make it look reasonable.

But it seems like a lot of a mark-up for fitting a nut and six plastic covers…

Especially considering there are six machineheads left to sell as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein