IS this string angle ok?

What's Hot
lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
edited October 2014 in Guitar
I have a Lite Ash Telecaster which I love, however something has always puzzled me.

The A string has got an unusual string angle over the nut. Is it normal/ok?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You are winding your strings on wrong.

On wound strings, the first wind should go over the end, subsequent winds (of which there should be no more than two) underneath.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72331
    Do it like the D string and it will be fine.

There's also far too much wrap on the E, the string should not be overlayed on itself like that.

Try to keep the wrap to about one complete turn on the E, two or three on the A (all below the sticking-out end), and if there are string trees on the D and G (obviously there are on your guitar) also about one turn.

Best is to do the 'half back turn and lock under' wrap method which means the strings won't slip even with as little as one turn on the post.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Great, thank you. Changed that and it's much better. Feel silly for not noticing (and for stringing it wrong) but at least it's sorted now. :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom