What makes a good guitar teacher??

What's Hot

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Speaking as a very poor guitar player, I found that learning something slightly different than your main interests [for example Simon & Garfunkel as opposed to The Eagles] helps get the message deep into your system.  Music is an arrangement of notes, trad Irish uses the same notes as Chopin, they are arranged differently.

As a hopeless golfer, one of the best putting lessons I ever got was how to chip the ball close to the pin.  Thus leaving me a very short putt.  

So rather than get fixated by one thing, try to see the overall picture.  I know nothing about Brad Paisley but I expect he is one of those modern guitar players with amazing fingerwork.  Get a good pair of headphones [or a decent stereo system] and listen deep into the music. Listen without consciously listening and it is amazing what you actually hear.  And how much you retain.  Give it a try.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    As a teacher I ask all my students to judge themselves honestly and critical against the following:

• Do I understand what I am asked to do
    • Do I understand why I have been asked to do what I am doing
    • Do I practice effectively what I have been asked to do
    • Am I making progress
    If the answer to any of the first 2 is no then I need the student to tell me (but I look for this)
    If the answer to the 3 is no then I need to help the student achieve this, but here the student has to take responsibility
    If the  answer to the first 3 is yes, but answer to 4 in no, then either I need to reassess what I am teaching

I would also say that I can see number 4 quite clearly in my student and no progress immediately flags up that I need to find out from the student about questions 1-3

The biggest thing I find that hold students back is a lack of focused practice, normally brought on by perceived lack of time

I reckon that for most students 2 years with the same teacher is enough.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GeorgieGeorgie Frets: 19
    I understand everything he tells me as he never asks if I have already done something or 'how much of this do you know already?'.

He won't know if I have progressed due to him never hearing me play.

I have had 5 lessons so have spent over £100 and don't feel I have got anywhere.

I have subscribed to an American Country site that teaches techniques and songs that are popular and I learn more from that although I feel that if I just went on the site there is no time limits on practice and you can end up becoming sloppy although I have my lesson tomorrow and I have been set no homework, nothing to practice, and I have no idea what to ask for because the chances are he won't be able to help me. :-<
  • It is completely insane that he hasn't heard/watched you play the guitar for five weeks.  You are clearly not finding his style of teaching helpful, so find someone else.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Georgie said:
    I understand everything he tells me as he never asks if I have already done something or 'how much of this do you know already?'.

He won't know if I have progressed due to him never hearing me play.

I have had 5 lessons so have spent over £100 and don't feel I have got anywhere.

I have subscribed to an American Country site that teaches techniques and songs that are popular and I learn more from that although I feel that if I just went on the site there is no time limits on practice and you can end up becoming sloppy although I have my lesson tomorrow and I have been set no homework, nothing to practice, and I have no idea what to ask for because the chances are he won't be able to help me. :-<
    Then it sounds like you are wasting your money - time for a change!
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    It is completely insane that he hasn't heard/watched you play the guitar for five weeks.  You are clearly not finding his style of teaching helpful, so find someone else.

This.

Your teacher should be evaluating (even just to himself) what needs some more practise, and what's up-to scratch, and setting lessons around that.

You'd be best walking away and finding someone else.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    erm, just to check here, you sure, like absolutely 100% sure he's a guitar teacher? Are there guitars around the place? Maybe an amp or two. Sheets of TAB lying around? Anything that would give a clue. I'm really struggling with the concept that he hasn't heard you play a guitar for 5 weeks.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Georgie said:
    I had a fab teacher but his wife doesn't like him having female pupils so I got sacked if you can call it that. :((
    She sounds a little bit Taliban to me. What about if you went back and offered to wear a burka?
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • Sounds like you either need a new teacher or no teacher.
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    I decide to go for lessons after trying to teach myself. First teacher I had one lesson with, he insisted I play an acoustic even though I play electric, it was in a unit on an industrial estate in a fairly small room that was pretty dark and I could have swore I saw scratch marks on the wall where people must have been trying to claw their way out. Safe to say I didn't go back.
    Got a return call from one of the many teachers I contacted before the industrial estate debacle and knew after the first lesson he understood me. Asked me what my aim was, what music I was interested in and what styles I'd like to learn. Every week I feel like I've either learnt or achieved something with him and he understands that I get very little chance to practice through the week due to work. The difference between him and the others was he showed a genuine interest in wanting to teach as he called me back after just enquiring. Teaches in a dedicated room in his house and doesn't kick you out bang on the hour unless there's a lesson directly after yours.
    As with most things word of mouth is really powerful, my dad never needed to advertise his business as he got on with people and did a good job so he just got recommendations left right and centre.

I'd have had suspicions about not being heard play even for one lesson unless the teacher had explained before the reasons why.
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

I went for another lesson tonight and I went with a different approach. I asked for tips to help my improvising. He redeemed himself as he gave lots of fantastic tips so I will stay with him. He has said he is going to get me more tips more next week as well as key signature charts.

He has also said he will help me put a harmony to my lyrics so will enjoy that!! Watch this space!!!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17606
    tFB Trader
    Nice one. 

Glad it worked out.

Lessons can feel a bit like school, but remember it's your money so don't be afraid to ask them to teach you what you want to learn.
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490

Lessons can feel a bit like school, but remember it's your money so don't be afraid to ask them to teach you what you want to learn.
    Very true. You're a paying customer as well as a student and have to find the right balance of control.
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

Ok. He was very complimentary too. The issue I brought to the table was that I was improvising and getting stuck with the same phrases and ideas. He says everyone gets to that point and it was good to hear it is not just me.

I know the feeling of being stuck with the same phrases.

I'm currently working through some Musicians Institute (MI) books to get away from playing the same things.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

What are those?

Any books that come with a CD to play along to and/or demonstrate the examples are probably the best way to go for learning outside of you lessons. as you can come back to them repeatedly, and practise by playing along. I'm working through the "rock lead basics" currently, and looking to have this completed by Christmas and move onto another book after that (I have loads).

The Progressive series are good too, again along the same lines (Book/CD) with different licks/solo's to learn. 

• I've been a full time teacher for 15 years now, 200 students a week blah blah blah. As I am relatively anonymous on here I can tell what I think is the truth. People will do anything to get away from practicing. Whinging about guitar teachers is one way, spending time on forums is another, buying expensive fx/amps/guitars is another. There is nothing wrong with this at all, but you are responsible for your progress, nobody else. I learnt guitar in the dark ages by listening to records and working things out by ear, no teacher, no youtube, no online snazzy guitar course. You can do the same.
  • Oh, and once you started telling the teacher what to teach he will have died a little inside :)