Strat saddle me up

I have filed down the saddles a couple of times but they keep being chewed up nonetheless. Could be lots of other causes but I'm fairly certain there is audible amplified noise coming from the high E and B saddles as this disappears after the filing down procedure. These saddles are the originals on my jap strat which is over 20 years old. Looks like I just have to check if it's 52 or 54 mm I need. Presumably I just unscrew the old ones and replace? Any recommendations? Where to buy ? What to buy? Not looking at the £150 ones made out of unobtainium but doesn't have to be the cheapest option either. Ta
Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I put a set of titanium saddles on my American Deluxe Strat and it made a big difference. As well as being tough it was much livelier than the original block saddles.
  • I've got some callaham ones and I like them. Supposed to be vintage accurate hard steel, which should last, versus most import ones which are often plated copper or whatever.

Half the price of titanium saddles. Never tried titanium, but I know a lot of folk swear by them.
  • Callaham ones are nice. Well made and I've had no trouble with them on 2 guitars for almost 2 years now. Not sure on price but shouldn't be silly money.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Have you seen these ones ;

http://highwood-guitarparts.com/

I like the way they look vintage but manage to avoid having the Allen screws dig into your right hand
  • DrBob said:

I like the way they look vintage but manage to avoid having the Allen screws dig into your right hand

That's nice enough, but feels like a solution looking for a problem. With the right shim and a set of varied-height saddles it's no issue.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Ooh, replies! :) Quite liking the look of those Highwood ones, the Allen screws digging in my hand is a bigger issue on my Pawn Shop than my strat so If they worked out...hmmm...The Callaham ones are from Chandlers in the UK and work out around the same as the Highwood ones. I'll have to check my saddles against the specs. Thanks all. :)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I use Graphtech saddles - sound great, and no string breakages.

R.
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    DrBob said:

Just buy a bag of assorted little grub screws - job done.  All Strat owners should have a selection in the parts drawer, seeing as they cost pennies. :D
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • I've a Wilkinson VG300 bridge on my partscaster with saddles just like those highwood ones...

The Wilkinson's a lovely bridge, wonder who's idea the saddle was.